Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Has anyone purchased the new Brydge keyboard for either 2018 IPad Pro? I had one for my old 9.7” and it was for the most part as advertised.

I had issues with the keyboard “bumpers” so the keyboard would not hit the screen when closed, and had issues with several keys either falling off or just not working after usage. It also created wear marks where the hinge connected to the screen and back. At times, yes Bluetooth would not immediately connect...so it wasn’t perfect...but it worked.

Brydge was good about returns and sending parts, no complaints at all with their service.

I just am tormented with the ASK, mostly about lack of keyboard lighting, and reports of issues with the connector.

mwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Indeed I called them today, due out later in May..bummer, I will have to wait and see what the results are.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I pre-ordered the Brydge Keyboard for my current gen 12.9. I have Apples Folio and Logitech’s new Slim Pro.

I’ve never owned a Brydge keyboard before but I will tell you this. Brydge WILL charge your credit card immediately. Which means you pay now instead of when the product ships. I contacted Brydge about this. They will get to use your money around 6 weeks (if it actually ships late May) before you get their product. It’s like you’re giving them an interest free loan.

If you (we) pay our CC bill off every month then you will pay off the Brydge before you get it. Which means if you need to return it then your CC will have a negative balance after the refund, which seems fine until you realize your CC isn’t going to mail you a check for the difference. So you actually lose the cash and only get CC credit.

Most companies don’t charge the card until the product ships.

If I had to guess, I’d say Brydge is having to change upfront to cover the manufacturing of the first round of keyboards. That’s really not cool unless you like “Kickstarter” style purchases.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
@RevTEG i absolutely agree with everything you wrote , and your reasons are why I didn’t pre order the brydge!!! I totally feel they are using proceeds from preorders to directly fulfill a certain production run. Ive been on group buys that do exactly this—they need X amount of sign-ups . .then there is a cut off time to have the funds in. Then the product gets built. Seems this company is doing host that.

Reactions: RevTEG

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
@RevTEG i absolutely agree with everything you wrote , and your reasons are why I didn’t pre order the brydge!!! I totally feel they are using proceeds from preorders to directly fulfill a certain production run. Ive been on group buys that do exactly this—they need X amount of sign-ups . .then there is a cut off time to have the funds in. Then the product gets built. Seems this company is doing host that.

I agree with you. I wouldn't have minded "investing" in their production run if they were upfront about it (maybe). My concern with this is that the new keyboard isn't their first product. Brydge has multiple keyboards on the market and by now shouldn't need our money upfront to produce a product. It makes me wonder what they've been doing with the profit from previous sales. Those profits should be funding new products just like other companies.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
@RevTEG again I completely agree with you here and wondered that myself. I mean were they heavy in debt to get a loan to fund their early startup and are still paying that back? Or are they blowing money on chicks and drugs? :p I’m being silly about the latter but still .. their product looks sound but Logitech delivered and , thanks to your heads up, I purchased the keyboard the next day from apple to get it delivered within 2 hours. I’m happy as a pig in slop.

Reactions: safetyobc

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I pre-ordered and will be getting one of the first 1000 that are shipped. Those are supposed to ship next week. When I get one, I plan on posting a review and doing some video as well. I, for one, am excited to get my hands on this thing. It looks awesome.

Reactions: millydog

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'm still waiting to get my biggest question answered. With the tight fit of the prongs that hold your iPP, does it pinch a screen protector? Hopefully in a future review by anyone, someone can cover if they had any issues with the prongs pushing on the screen protector or scratching it.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I looked at these very seriously, because the nice materials and usability are definitely something to admire. However, in the end, it's not something for me personally. The hinges/prongs are just too much - this is a radically un-Apple like design decision. I get why they did it, but it's just a giant drawback - not only ugly as sin (and an admission of designer's defeat) - but also a serious impediment to covers, sleeves and other accessories. The thickness they add is just insane. To me (and speaking just for myself), that's a hard "NO". Pass. YMMV.

CookieMuncher

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Will the hinge bend the iPad over time from the force of opening and closing?

A lot of people reporting bent iPads. I just don’t want mine to bend because of this keyboard.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I cancelled my preorder recently.

I like the idea of it, design wise I think it’s as good as we’re going to get short of a better, official Apple keyboard with backlighting and an any-angle hinge. However, I’m put off by the possible QC issues and the hinge becoming floppy over time. Previews sound great, but I’m curious to see what state they’ll be in six months.

I’ve got 2 iPads.

I use the 12.9” exclusively in landscape with the ASK. Pretty happy with it but I’d really like a function row so I’ve ordered the new Logitech Slim Folio Pro for it. Pity its Bluetooth but the way it connects sounds as seamless as it could be with the limitations of BT. The added weight and lack of easy case removal isn’t really a factor as I use it exclusively at home in landscape. Can’t recall the last time I removed the ASK from it. Only downer is the one, fixed angle with the keyboard. I do actually use the steeper angle with the ASK sometimes.

I’ve also got an 11” with the ASK, which I use on the go, 50/50 portrait/landscape. I wouldn’t use anything but the ASK with the 11”, the easy keyboard removal is integral to how I use it.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
I expect these cherry picked reviewers to submit a positive review. Once the regular end user gets this, you will see more real world reviews. I wasn’t really wild on the hinge design and the tablets screen being “pinched” into the hinge parts...

Reactions: yegon

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I cancelled my preorder recently.

I like the idea of it, design wise I think it’s as good as we’re going to get short of a better, official Apple keyboard with backlighting and an any-angle hinge. However, I’m put off by the possible QC issues and the hinge becoming floppy over time. Previews sound great, but I’m curious to see what state they’ll be in six months.

I’ve got 2 iPads.

I use the 12.9” exclusively in landscape with the ASK. Pretty happy with it but I’d really like a function row so I’ve ordered the new Logitech Slim Folio Pro for it. Pity its Bluetooth but the way it connects sounds as seamless as it could be with the limitations of BT. The added weight and lack of easy case removal isn’t really a factor as I use it exclusively at home in landscape. Can’t recall the last time I removed the ASK from it. Only downer is the one, fixed angle with the keyboard. I do actually use the steeper angle with the ASK sometimes.

I’ve also got an 11” with the ASK, which I use on the go, 50/50 portrait/landscape. I wouldn’t use anything but the ASK with the 11”, the easy keyboard removal is integral to how I use it.

Just to let you know the Logitech Slim Folio Pro does have 2 typing angles. Both angles are very similar to Apple smart folio keyboard .

Reactions: yegon

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Just to let you know the Logitech Slim Folio Pro does have 2 typing angles. Both angles are very similar to Apple smart folio keyboard .

I have the Logitech Slim Folio pro there are two typing angles? I know there is landscape mode which I use but what is the other angle I can use?

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
This is what i did. The brydge does look great but its delay and the concern about the hinged parts of the case made me a bit weary. I was always wanting to go logitech and I’m glad they finally came to the party. I’m very pleased with the logitech and have had it since its release.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I really want to like the Brydge keyboard. The idea that I can flip the iPad over so it’s face up for drawing on top of the keyboard is very appealing. If it is a pain to remove, or somehow degrades the clips holding it, and it pinches screen protectors it becomes a no go. That’s why I was hoping some of you were getting the first copies, as I expected reviewers wouldn’t cover the same things that I was interested in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.