Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now offering the popular Brydge line of keyboards designed for the newest iPads in its online store.

As of today, Apple is selling the Brydge 10.2 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for the seventh-generation iPad and the Brydge 10.5 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for the third-generation iPad Air.

brydgekeyboards-800x591.jpg

Available for $129.95, the Brydge keyboards are more affordable than Apple's own Smart Keyboards and offer a more traditional typing experience with 1.2mm of key travel.

Brydge keyboards, which come in gray, silver, and gold to match the colors of the available iPad models, are unique among third-party keyboards because of their tab system.

The iPad is designed to nestle into two silicone-lined tabs at the top of the keyboard, with no additional cover required for the rest of the iPad, which keeps the design more minimal. The tabs are hinged, so the keyboard can be closed over the iPad in a clamshell design.

Brydge keyboards aren't able to take advantage of the Smart Connector on Apple's iPads and instead must use Bluetooth, but Brydge says they're able to last for up to 12 months on a single charge depending on usage. There are integrated iOS battery management tools to cut down on power drain.

The keys are backlit, there's a row of function keys specific to iOS, and the keyboards use Bluetooth 4.0 to connect to the iPad. Each keyboard is made from a heavy, durable aluminum that's able to hold up to wear and tear, and it's simple to remove the iPad from the tabs that hold it in place.

The Brydge keyboards are available from the Apple online store and Apple retail stores in the United States and Canada starting today.

Article Link: Brydge Keyboards Now Available From Apple Store

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
This is a huge vote of recommendation from Apple to Brydge's products. Congrats to that team. I've had a Bridge for 9 months on my iPad Pro 11" and while it's not a perfect keyboard, it is always on the iPad now and has allowed me to take extended motorcycle travel trips w/o needing to bring a laptop. I can't get everything done on an iPad but I can still have a mobile office presence thanks to the Bridge keyboard.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This is a huge vote of recommendation from Apple to Brydge's products. Congrats to that team. I've had a Bridge for 9 months on my iPad Pro 11" and while it's not a perfect keyboard, it is always on the iPad now and has allowed me to take extended motorcycle travel trips w/o needing to bring a laptop. I can't get everything done on an iPad but I can still have a mobile office presence thanks to the Bridge keyboard.

Do you have a case on your iPad? I'm curious if you can use one of these with an iPad in a case.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Brydge keyboards are the best, just heavy. I've got one for the iPad Mini 5, best typing experience on that small of a keyboard. I'll stick with my Apple Smart Folio for the IPP11, though.

Reactions: FloatingBones

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I have, just this week, moved from the Apple folio keyboard for the Brydge keyboard for my 11 inch iPad Pro. I really Ike the keyboard for two reasons. three levels of backlight for the keyboard and an indicator light for the Caps Lock key.

It works well touch typing, once I adjusted to the key size and spacing, and I can use it on my lap, something I never could do with the folio.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Do you have a case on your iPad? I'm curious if you can use one of these with an iPad in a case.

The Bridge only works with the naked iPad. The tolerances of the hinge mounting are too tight for anything else on the iPad. It includes a black protector for the iPad though but will not help the iPad if dropped onto a corner.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Still think the Smart Keyboard is better.

I like my Apple Smart keyboard that I have on my iPad Pro 9.7 inch except, lately the iPad is telling me it is unsupported. There appears to be some thinness in the iPad contact "gutter" that allows some wires to be exposed. There are wear marks on the iPad at those locations like there is some small current eating away the finish. I can get the keyboard to work if I put some paper at those spots (tried fingernail polish and electrical tape, neither worked as well as paper).

I had resigned myself to buying a new one but it appears they are no longer offered for my model. I suspect the Bridge keyboard suffers the same fate (not being available for my model) but I will look some more.

I do like that the keyboard swings out of the way so the iPad can still be used like a tablet. I love that it uses the smart connector. The 12 months of battery life for the Bridge could mitigate my concerns.

Mikep976

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
Seems like a pretty big “thumbs up” from Apple, so good on them. My only hesitation, and I want to hear if anyone has had any issues, is the hinges and potential bending or similar issues. I know that the whole “Pro‘s bending“ thing was really blown up, and mine hasn’t exhibited any, but do those tight grips have any potential to damage the iPad?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hopeless product and pains me to admit the Apple Smart Keyboard is miles ahead. Both are drastically inferior to a MacBook, obviously.

I tried my best to love this product with my 12.9" Pro, but it's just not useable in current form. It also limits case options.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So some above think it's great, others not. Which is it?
Personal preference.

I have tried a number of keyboard cases, and still come back to Apple's own smart keyboard. Sure, it's expensive, but I find it offers the best integrated experience. It's a breeze to attach and take off, the smart connector means I don't have to bother with charging the keyboard or turning it off and on, and I quite like the typing experience it affords.

It's also relatively thin and light, though I find that it gets dirty very easily, which I guess is a common issue with many Apple products. They start out all clean and pristine, but never stay that way. Still, the smart keyboard ticks off many of the right boxes for me.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Yep, definitely a personal preference thing. I have one of these, love some things about it, and prefer Apple's Smart Keyboard Folio for other things. On the plus side, the workmanship is excellent, the keys have plenty of travel (if you like that), it makes your iPad look like a tiny MacBook, you can use it in your lap without issue, you can open it to any angle, and the keys are backlit.

On the negative side, the key action is less responsive and requires more pressure than I would like, it doesn't allow the use of a case or back protection for the iPad, and it makes swiping up from the very bottom of the screen (for example, to invoke split-screen mode) nearly impossible.

For me, the net result is that I happily use it but I'm not in love with it.

Reactions: jimthing

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Personal preference.

I have tried a number of keyboard cases, and still come back to Apple's own smart keyboard. Sure, it's expensive, but I find it offers the best integrated experience. It's a breeze to attach and take off, the smart connector means I don't have to bother with charging the keyboard or turning it off and on, and I quite like the typing experience it affords.

It's also relatively thin and light, though I find that it gets dirty very easily, which I guess is a common issue with many Apple products. They start out all clean and pristine, but never stay that way. Still, the smart keyboard ticks off many of the right boxes for me.

I always found the Smart Keyboard hard to type on, like I had to use a lot of force, did I perhaps just try a lemon?

jbn858273

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Germany
I concur with the conclusion that it’s purely down to personal experience and preference. I love my Brydge keyboard but it provides essentially zero drop protection. Conversely, my Targus 3D Protection case has ensured zero damage despite two serious drops, one kicked onto a concrete floor with direct impact to one corner and the second dropped flat screen side down.

Both have their clear advantages for different activities, I would not give either of them up.

Reactions: jimthing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.