Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I have the Apple Smart Keyboard, which I actually like a lot for desk typing given the ease of connectivity and low weight (none of the other keyboard manufacturers have done a good job with the weight on their keyboards). However, it is terrible for typing in my lap - I will have situations where i need to do that and I won’t have my laptop. In that situation, is the Logitech or Brydge better? I am tempted to go with the Logitech as it is cheaper and I won’t be using this setup that much - the Brydge does look cool though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think either one will be great for laptop typing. The weight of the tablet compared to the keyboard is going to be such that typing on your lap is less then ideal. I think either one will get the job done, though I think overall the Logitech may be a tad better for the iPad. I am concerned about the long term health of the iPad using the brydge because of those compression points it uses to hold the keyboard in place.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I have the Brydge keyboard for IPP 12.9 3rd gen. The weakest point is the hinge and can see the rubber splitting and would be nice to have an additional one should that happen. It is a good keyboard though and will appeal to those that love the scissor keyboards. The only issue I have seen though is with bluetooth and that it does not always respond straight away but takes another press or two when waking up. That said putting it at various angles is great and the backlit keys is something I like as do some typing when light is poor and do not always want to turn on room lights. The bridge keyboard looks great and is for me a great option to the Apple Smart Keyboard when travelling. I also have the Apple Smart Keyboard and actually prefer the travel as like butterfly keys and really hope that Apple add backlit keys as that for me would make it the number 1 keyboard of choice.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have the Brydge Pro for my 12.9. I've used Logitech keyboards in the past and the Brydge has been the best lap typing experience so far. I'm still not 100% sold on the typing experience, but in terms of typing on the lap, it is the best. Hope this helps.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I've owned both the Brydge and the Logitech for my 2018 12.9. I returned the Brydge. The build quality seemed great but I just preferred the typing experience of the Logitech. I know that's just personal preference. There were several other things I didn't prefer about the Brydge. Most would be non issues to many people.

Lap typing wasn't really an issue for either product for me.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Having used Logitech and Brydge in the past (currently using ASK) I have to vote Brydge.
It's as close to a laptop experience as you'll get in my opinion.
I still use my Brydge when I need to lap type, so yeah, living with both ASK and Brydge happens and works for me.

I'd recommend them to anyone - they are spendy, but they last and they're well made and easy to use, plus they make the iPP feel like a MacBook...which is pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.