BSD Root Problem Fix with 16GB iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mbrellisford, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mbrellisford macrumors member

2. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

3. tngisaga macrumors member

I just used this method to jailbreak my 32GB iTouch today and I can confirm that it works. It only works with the Windows version of Ziphone so I had to use Parallels to do it. If you follow everything he says, you'll have a nice jailbroken 1.1.4 iTouch.

Oh yeah, I think that's the guy who created Ziphone. It's the same video I saw on the Ziphone blog.

4. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I don't understand the instructions. I closed it once it got to the mac address part and then it kept going, it restarted and then dumped me back into that loop. So I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong.

5. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

6. tngisaga macrumors member

You've almost got it. When you get pass the part where it tells you the mac address, you have to close Ziphone or else it will loop the iPod which is what happened.

7. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Ya that's what I did. I closed the ZiPhone I SAW, but there are about 50 other processes it makes when you keep clicking the jailbreak button.

8. Xenn0X macrumors regular

9. mbrellisford thread starter macrumors member

So you posted this 5 days ago, yet both ZiPhone.org AND the video were only posted 2 days ago. Makes sense.

And yes I did do a search for ZiPhone 2.5c in iPod hacks and your thread never came up, because you posted the link to ipodtouchfans.

10. eyvind macrumors member

eyvind

Works For Me™

Worked on my 1.1.3 16GB touch with the $20 update (update still works fine).

It was pretty tricky to get the timing of the clicks right; clicking too quickly got my iPod stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen, clicking too slowly didn't have any effect. I had to try five or six times before I could get it to work, so it's a good thing that even if the jailbreak fails, your iPod isn't bricked and you don't need to restore it (and spend an hour reloading all your media). Just follow these easy steps:

1. disconnect the iPod
    2. hold down the home and power keys until the Apple logo appears
    3. release the power key but keep the home key pressed until the "connect to iTunes" screen appears
    4. reconnect the iPod and start Ziphone
    5. open the advanced options panel, and click on "Normal mode"

After 30 seconds or so, your iPod should be back in working order, ready for a new jailbreak attempt. If not, start again at 1.

Note: turn off automatic updating of iPods in iTunes preferences and deselect "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" on the iPod's page in iTunes, otherwise iTunes will probably interfere with the process.

I used the Windows (XP) version of Ziphone, running under VMware on my Mac.

Good luck!

11. Xenn0X macrumors regular

better search:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448637
    see same video.

12. captnmorgan macrumors newbie

this doesnt work for me, i still keep getting the bsd message, i have tried it several times while clicking jailbreak several times a second. any ideas?, im on windows xp, 1.1.4 firmware

13. Domenic182 macrumors newbie

I have 1.1.4 with the software update 16gig and it's not working.

14. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

So shall I give this method a try, I feel nervous :eek:

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Funny, considering there are no hard drives in Touches.

16. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

semantics......

everyone understood what he ment, no need to argue what word was used it got the point across..

But yea that is crazy that simply clicking it a bunch, kind of 'pushes' the process through and it doesnt get hung up on errors.. odd.. I wish i had an ipod Touch to try it out on :(

17. Mugs macrumors regular

hey how do i get past the bit where it says bsd root. if im on a mac? because on my Ziphone I cant repeatedly hit the jailbreak button. thanks

18. poldi macrumors newbie

worked fine for me

I just jb'ed my ipod touch using this method and it is working fine. It messed up first time but I didnt restore it beforehand. But second time worked with absolutely no problems.

19. Domenic182 macrumors newbie