BSE/InvisibleShield vs. Naked??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrsundaynight, Oct 10, 2008.

1. mrsundaynight macrumors newbie

I just got my iPhone today. Haven't even taken it out of the package.

I also received my BestSkinEver last week. It's here, ready to apply.

I've already applied a BSE to an old Creative Zen player, and know how they are. I'm a fan.

But I'm curious to hear how many people have applied a skin like this to their iPhone vs. people who left it naked.

Now, I'm only talking about skins that apply directly to the iPhone. Not cases or silicone covers.

Anyone care to weigh in?

I'm mainly curious about the skin on the front of the iPhone. Has anyone found that it impedes their use of the touch screen in any way?

I'll probably end up applying the BSE, but thought I'd ask around first.

Opinions???

2. ajwchin macrumors member

I haven't used the BSE, but my screen protector won't at all impede the use of the touch screen.

I would apply it. You can barely tell it's there, and it'll serve as insurance against scratches.

3. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I have invisibleshield on my iPhone 1.0 (1 year) and BSE skins on the iPhone 3G, MBP and MB. I think invisibleshield is of better quality and lasts(sticks) longer. BSE has a discoloration problem (google: "BSE burn mark") but does the job well given the price.

I would not recommend using the iPhone without the BSE at all. My iPhone 3G got minor scratches on the 2nd day itself although I am extremely careful about my gadgets. You never know when that next scratch is coming...

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Definitely use a screen protector. A couple weeks after I got mine, it fell out of my pocket and slid screen-first across the concrete. All I had to do was change the crystal film and the screen looked good as new. :D

5. mrsundaynight thread starter macrumors newbie

Interestingly enough - when I google "BSE Burn Mark", your forum post is the first hit. Funny.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I assume for the burn mark, it won't affect a black iPhone as much as a white one? Now I'm thinking about buying an InvisibleShield instead....

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I used to have an invisible shield on my iPhone 3G but I ended up taking it off. I just the like the feel of the naked iPhone better.

7. mrsundaynight thread starter macrumors newbie

Was it tough to remove? Did it leave marks or glue behind?

8. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Try to google this : "bestskinsever discoloration"
    I can post some snaps of it on the Macbook if you wish. I had emailed BSE guys about the cause for this.

No such skins never leave any marks/glue. They come off very easily.

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I had an IS on my old iPod touch. I applied it perfectly and it was cool for a while, but I found it did take away the ultra smoothness of the screen.
    That was also during the usual first month 'babying' period I always go through with new gadgets.
    I also tried normal screen protectors on it, but because they're plastic, they scuff up too easily, and I had to keep replacing those, which was a real PITA.
    In short, I now prefer to go naked out of the box, as the pleasure I get from using the device as such, far outweighs any slight restriction (aesthetic or tactile) that extra protection might bring.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I've got IS on my iPhone. The loss in tactile niceness is out weighed by not having to worry about putting coins in the same pocket as the phone.

11. philamac macrumors regular

I got the 'crystal' stuff from the Apple Store for my phone (day 1), and invisible shield for other stuff, and I really think the 'crystal' stuff is the way to go.

Invisible shield is too much work, with the liquid and stuff, too sticky imo, and I found invis shield harder to apply and more noticeable afterward.

The crystal film is almost like staticky, the way it clings to your screen. Really easy to put on, with no liquids or adhesives, and stays put. mine has. With it, there's a little more resistance, but not enough to get in the way of swiping and flipping. When I had to exchange my iphone for a new one due to a defect, the guy just used a piece of scotch tape to life the film off the old, and applied it to the new phone.

A friend did buy a pack and took it off after a week saying he preferred the feel of the naked glass tho.

12. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I guess you're talking about the crystal film "Power Support" screen protector? They make good stuff, I'm using a power support screen protector...except mine is anti-glare not crystal.

13. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I have a BSE on the back (get the two-piece, it's easier to install), and a crystal screen protector on the front. I think this is the best of both worlds -- good, full-body protection, but a screen protector that you can't even tell is there. I really didn;t like the BSE on the front - makes the touchscreen a little to tacky for my tastes.

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

On my first iphone i had a BSE, but after a while it got annoying. I never bothered applying on to the second iPhone, i prefer the feel.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It wasn't tough to remove and it didn't leave marks or glue behind. It's just perfect now.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Anything involving the word "naked" is usually a good thing. :D:D:D:D:D

My iPhone screen has been naked since I bought it, and I have zero scratches (2.5 months now). I do have a rubber InCase cover around the rest of the phone though (which creates a rim around the front of the phone; protecting the screen if the phone is dropped).

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I agree :D

I just put my iPhone in an iPod Sock when I have it in my purse.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

19. mrsundaynight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.....applied the BSE last night. Appreciate the info.