BSOD when installing boot camp drivers.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by adnan88, Jul 26, 2008.

1. adnan88 macrumors newbie

I installed Windows XP PRO with SP3. I placed the boot camp disk to install the drivers, and it went to a blue screen and then restarted, I tried 3 times and same thing happens every time. Can anyone advise me on what to do, please. Thank you!

2. adnan88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also as a side note, the BootCamp disk I am using is a Leopard OS I brought when the new MAC OS X came out, so its not the disk that came with my MBP, since I read on another forum that you must use the MBP disks to install the drivers. true?...too bad I am on vacation and the MBP disks and me are separated by the atlantic ocean...so I have to wait another 3 weeks until I can try that..

3. UnInvincible macrumors member

So did you install SP3 before installing the Boot Camp drivers, because that could be the issue. The new Boot Camp 2.1 drivers that can be downloaded from the Apple website had a warning that said they needed to be installed before SP3, so the 2.0 drivers definitely need to be installed before SP3 also. If it is possible for you to uninstall SP3 and go back to SP2 I would try doing that and seeing if you can install the Boot Camp drivers then. If it works I would recommend downloading the 2.1 drivers from Apple and then installing SP3.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As unInvicible just stated once you have installed windows you then need to pop in your leopard disk to install 2.0 once done use the updater to update to 2.1 then download sp3

5. adnan88 thread starter macrumors newbie

here is the thing, I have a Windows XP PRO that has SP3 on it already, so I didn't really download anything after I installed the MS OS. Is there a way to downgrade the SP3 to SP2?

6. James17 macrumors 6502

You can uninstall SP3 but that's not recommended as it contains a lot of patches and stability improvements for XP. If my suggestion below doesn't work and you want to uninstall SP3, the link is below with instructions on how to do it from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

I may be wrong but download Bootcamp 2.1 from the Apple site link below and install that when you are in XP. Me thinks that contains up to date drivers workable with SP3.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcampupdate21forwindowsxp.html

7. adnan88 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I got a Windows XP PRO SP2 disk now, installed a fresh copy....and I downloaded the BootCamp 2.1 drivers from apple. Placed them on my portable HDD, and Windows finished installing, I tried opening the Bootcamp 2.1 that was on my portable HDD, but nothing happens, it looks like it wants to open...it shows that timer thing next to the mouse and then nothing happens.. So I tried placing my OSX disk with the 2.0 drivers, and it installs drivers all the way up to the wireless and then BSOD again. Whats wrong now? Its SP2 but same thing is happening, anyone got a clue?

PS.
    Found this on a blog.
    So yea seems like I was kind of right, I do need to use the MACBOOK PRO disks that came with the machine instead of retail OSX that I purchased on release date.