Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
It is only been one year and a month since I got the computer and I got a blue screen of death after playing Dragon Age Origins for a little bit.

Does it mean there is something wrong with the computer?

It is a 15 inch macbook pro.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
So... you got one BSOD in a year, and you're asking if there's anything wrong with your computer?

No. There isn't.

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
BSOD's started happening after I installed 11.10 preview 3 drivers, not sure if it is the one causing it.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
A BSOD while running a game happens usually only for two reasons.
to much over clocking
buggy drivers

the less likely thing would be hardware damage and a bad GPU but since you updated drivers i bet that is the problem.
Reinstall older drivers.

But seriously did all common sense leave you. Installing preview drivers, where it says on the label in BIG RED letters, "install at your own risk might damage hardware", and running into a BSOD and you cannot put two and two together.
Those drivers are preview because they are still buggy and even the stable WHQL approved ones can cause a BSOD on a MacBook Pro, although less likely. Only the bootcamp drivers are throughly tested against the Apple hardware i.e. custom logic board, ram, gpu.

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
You mean when you shutdown windows.
Probably still a graphics driver problem.

BSOD in Windows 7 are just about always driver or hardware related. Otherwise it is only a frozen/halted program that you can easily recover from by using the task manager.

You need to uninstall that GPU driver an reinstall an older stable version or else you will keep running into the BSOD and eventually may cause irreparable damage to the GPU or the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.