BSODs when using Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AnthonyKinyon, Apr 5, 2007.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Does anyone happen to get BSODs when using an Apple keyboard, in particular a wired (USB) one, under Windows XP SP2 with Boot Camp? In my case, I have encountered this sometimes when using Alt + Tab to switch out of Star Wars: Galaxies (usually into another instance of the game). I learned how to analyze a Windows dump file decently and traced it to the Mac keyboard driver. I wasn't 100% sure I was right, so I posted over at TechSpot to ask some Windows gurus to verify. One thing to bear in mind, I'm not entirely convinced this is an SWG problem because it has rarely happened in other applications such as Firefox, but usually it occurs in SWG when switching between instances of the game.

The thread there, is here if you care to have a look. The thread isn't very big but it does contain a lot more detail/technical information about this matter.

The keyboard driver file causing it seems to be KeyMagic.sys - has anyone else encountered this? In my case, I'm using a Mac Mini 1.66 GHz Core Duo.

The XP install is only a few weeks old but I have been running Boot Camp since it came out - I've completely removed and reinstalled Windows a few times over the course of many months and this has been the only BSOD problem I've had. Besides this, my XP seems very stable and to have good performance.

I am using Boot Camp 1.2 drivers (latest available at the time of this post). Problem occured with prior versions as well.

-------------

Somewhat funny side story: My friend has a Dell running Vista, he likes my Mini (and the Mac in general) so much that he has upgraded to a Mac keyboard on the said Dell. :)

2. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular