BT dropouts under heavy wifi access

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monty77, Jul 24, 2009.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Just bought a 23" dell monitor and BT keyboard (already have wireless Logitech mouse) to use with my late 2008 MBP.

Almost immediately I noticed I was getting frequent 'Connection to Keyboard lost' errors, almost 100% of the time this happens the Wifi is under heavy use moving large files to my NAS for example.

I searched Apple support and this appears to be quite common and 1 suggestion was to change my airport extreme base station to use 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz for the network. This tweak seems to have solve the issue 100%, the only downside is not all of my kit can use 5GHz .. for my work laptop I've invested in a new wifi adapter that'll cope but my Apple TV and iPhone can no longer connect to the WLAN.

Anyone else have an alternative solution for this? Or is it pure and simple down to BT interference and I should perhaps ditch the BT keyboard for a wired one?

Thanks!
    Monty

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Change Wireless Router to Channel 9. Try that.

3. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly the same I'm afraid .. all works great until I start a large file transfer over WiFi and my keyboard disconnects almost immediately :(

Cheers,
    Monty

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Bluetooth and WiFi operate on the same frequency (2.4GHz), so odd effects are to be expected.
    Switching to 5GHz WiFi will fix any problems regarding the two signals operating on the same frequency. You can pick up a dual band router if not all your gear supports 5GHz,

5. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Granted, but my thinkpad doesn't have the same problem and it's sitting next (literally) to my MBP.

Can the apple airport extreme base station do this?

...looks like my only choice is to select 802.11n only @ 5GHz.

Thanks,
    Monty

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Only the current generation Airport Extreme and Time Capsule can do simultaneous dual band. I would recommend you set your current Extreme to 5GHz and buy a cheap wireless G router for 2.4GHz (I recommend Linksys WRT54G)

7. 1ne macrumors regular

I don't mean to be rude or a jerk but if you are using 802.11G, there are only 3 non-overlapping channels. Channel 1,6,11.

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I switched my Airport Extreme to Channel 9 after experiencing the same mouse lag. All is well for me. cheers!

9. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone, more expense either way ... to keep box count down I'll most likely invest in a current AEBS - pretty annoyed my premium apple product can't do something my Thinkpad can!

Cheers,
    Monty

10. aristobrat macrumors G4