BT GPS and Google Maps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdsviet, Mar 29, 2008.

1. sdsviet macrumors regular

i have a holux bt gps unit and i can connect to my mbp. is there a way for me to open up google maps and have it recognize the bt gps and pinpoint my location and then i can find directions thru that? or do i have to install a independent programs such as street trips or delorme. would google earth work? maybe there's a plugin for firefox that would make google maps work?

2. OZMP macrumors 6502

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

youll need a constant internet connection to download maps data
    an independent maps software for mac may end up cheaper

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. sdsviet thread starter macrumors regular

well u need a google earth plus account to have it work. there isnt a demo for the plus account so i can try it out either. maybe i have to use my old street trips on parallels for now and see how that does. hopefully it connects thru parallels.

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

I used Route 66 2006 to go from Dallas to Houston once. It was not worth it.
    I am not sure if it was the GPS puck, or route 66, but I would suggest that if you want to have some sort of dedicated GPS in your vehicle, get one. Do not use something like a laptop and gps puck. I drive to and from multiple locations across a 50+ mile radius. I used a tomtom for awhile, and it was pretty good. I now use telenav via a blackberry that work got me. I would rather use either the tomtom or telenav than a laptop with gps.

7. sdsviet thread starter macrumors regular

well i have tomtom for my p1 but i just wanted to try to see how it was to use it on a laptop.

8. operator207 macrumors 6502

I am not saying you can't try it. I am just saying that there really is no good place to put the laptop, if driving solo, and even if there was, the interface to control the program is not conducive to safe driving (touchpad, keyboard). Besides, most applications for your laptop that incorporate GPS, just are not that user friendly. You might try looking at http://www.mp3car.com and see what people have done with PC's in their car. The last time I was there, there was a forum for MAC's too.