Bt Gps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffreyfort, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I've been hoping that the next iPhone will have real GPS, but I expect it won't. But could it receive GPS data via BT from an external BT GPSr? I believe most BT GPSr's transmit the data in a standard format (NMEA?). If the iPhone's BT would allow receipt of such data, it seems that some clever developer could generate some real, Garmin-like, GPS software for hiking, geocaching, etc. Would this be possible?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, especially as 2.0 will have greater Bluetooth support

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

A couple months back there were a couple entries over at engadget about this. One of them had a small, about the size of a mathbox, gps recieved that connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth. Completly seperate from the iphone, just a little black box with a blue led you could leave in a different pocket. And that was even before he release of the SDK.

So I'd say yes, its entirely possible.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I would certainly be all for this. I have a Garmin GPS 10 which is a Bluetooth GPS standalone device. If started without a Garmin-specific initialization it defaults to NMEA. That would be perfect.

My concern here is that inviting wider Bluetooth implementation may be blocked by Apple. This would require a Bluetooth data profile, albeit a Serial Port Profile, but would still allow an inroad to tethering. Apple wouldn't be in favor of that.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Apple could just block tethering apps in the AppStore. No need to not turn on Serial Port Profiles. Can the GPS boxen work over OBEX?

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The first entry was a rumored TomTom module which was uncovered by engadget to be a complete fake.

The other entry you referred to was a project called locoGPS that was supposed to have been shipping now for jailbroken iPhones. They were even taking pre-orders for the device. Now, if you go to the locoGPS site http://partfoundry.com/iphonegps.html you get redirected to another project by them, gomite, which is supposed to be a WiFi based navigation server that relies on the device browser for navigation. I'm not sure I think much of a web browser based navigation tool. The refreshing would suck. They say they are now shooting for an availability of summer 2008.

http://www.gomite.com/

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

All of the Bluetooth GPS modules I can find on the market, including mine, run off the Serial Port Profile. They all tie to a COM port in the device.

Yes, Apple could block tethering apps but if future iPhone versions continue to be jailbroken then the profile will be sitting on the phone and 'non-authorized' developers could make whatever they wanted.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As someone mentioned, there's one way around the lack of BT support.

At least one company now offers a WiFi based GPS puck, versus using Bluetooth.

While this allows using a browser, a specialized local non-browser map application could also go over WiFi to get the current GPS data.

9. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I definitely think that the BT GPS puck solution is the way to go for those who need it. I would harbor a guess that a large majority of iPhone users wouldn't benefit from the presence of integrated GPS and might in fact find it a nuisance if it added to the bulk of the phone, consumed too much power, and added to the final price.