BT headphones.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Mumbles01, May 14, 2015.

1. Mumbles01 macrumors regular

I'll be using my apple watch generally only at the gym & later in the evening because I work construction.
    But at the gym I'm pretty big on putting my headphones in & tuning out the world. I'm there to lift not talk. So needless to say I'm looking for the best IN EAR/EAR BUD headphones out there. I've never used BT headphones before but I've read up on them & found out that they don't always produce the best sound quality of get loud.
    So does anybody have a recommendation on what to get that they have actual experience with? I'm looking to spend about 150$ roughly.
    No stinky over priced Beats either.
    I've read that jay birds are good?

2. Snowkarver macrumors member

For working out, Jaybird BluebudsX are the gold standard. A bit finicky to set up, but sound great, stay put, pair consistently, and absolutely immune to sweat.

Mine go to the gym, road, trail, bike park, ski mountain, and keep on kicking. Wear them running style tight behind the head and no loop around the neck to get caught while lifting/paddling/crossfitting/whatever.

3. Mumbles01 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, solid review bud.
    The only issue I've found so far with the jaybird's is I've read that they stick out of your ears about a half-inch. are they bulky or heavy once you're wearing them ?

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

Take a look at these.

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

The LG Tones are the best, in my opinion. I have used mine for years. They go around your neck and are kept out of the way. Check them out.

6. Snowkarver macrumors member

Yes, they do stick out a bit as the battery and electronics are all contained within the earbud. I wear mine without the wings and angle them slightly to make them fit more streamlined and have had never had a problem with knocking them out. So light, no bulk at all. Wearing the cord tight behind my head is the key feature for me - I hate having anything flap around when running.

7. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I use the wings, and have found Comply ear tips give me a perfect, very secure fit (marathon worthy). I have also taken to wearing them tight behind my head, and that seems to help a lot.

8. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

Expecting my SGS 42 mm delivery mid next week, and thinking about which headphones to buy.

One thing is still unclear to me, even after hours of review watching: will I be able to play music directly from the watch to my BT headphones, without using the iPhone?

If I go out for a run with just the watch and my headphones, I could still listen to music, right?

I would also appreciate advice regarding which bluetooth headphones to buy.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, if you sync (download) a playlist to Apple Watch you can go directly from watch to headphones (iPhone can be out of range).

10. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

As far as choice, there are many. On the pricier end, I have heard that Powerbeats2 is the best at a $200 price tag. If you want to save money, I have heard Soundpeats which you can get on Amazon for $27.99 are pretty good. As for myself, coincidentally, I just purchased from Best Buy Jam Transit headphones for $39.99 and am opening them up now. If I don't like them, I may get the Soundpeats because they are well-reviewed. I would love to get the Powerbeats, but not sure I want to spend that much on headphones.

11. Jigga macrumors 6502

12. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Yes, the Best Buy guy actually recommended those as the best and they were $179 if I remember correctly.

13. Jigga macrumors 6502

They can be bought easily around $120 from Amazon

14. papbot macrumors 6502

The headphones vary quite a bit. I bought two cheap pair that both have a lot of dropouts. I realized that in my walks when my left arm with the watch moved behind my body the signal was blocked by my body to the headphones. I have a better set now that don't have this problem. The Jaybirds are highly reviewed and moderately priced compared to the Beats. So be careful you may save some money but be very dissatisfied with what you get.

15. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

The Jaybirds are very good for the price. The battery life is somewhat less than advertised, but still very good, and they work perfectly with the watch in standalone mode. No audible difference between these phones with my iPad or IPhone vs the watch. The only downside is that iOS shows headphone battery level, but watchOS does not. No matter, however, because a fully charged pair of Jaybirds X will actually outlast a fully charged watch in Bluetooth listening.

Like most IEMs the Jaybirds are improved with Comply earbuds.

Naturally you give up some audiophile quality with any BT headphone, but the convenience of the Jaybirds outweighs this in sport activity.

16. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Follow-up: Did not like the Jam Transit headphones so looks like Amazon and Soundpeats for me.

So that you don't have the issue I did, after you pair the headset with the watch, make sure you force touch on the screen in the music app to get the Source button and then change it from iPhone to Apple Watch. Then you will be able to use the watch and the headset without the phone to play your uploaded playlist.

17. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I recommend the Powerbeats 2. The Jaybirds are also really good, but the Powerbeats 2 stayed in my ears better and had, in my opinion, better sound overall...once you picked the right size inserts. I tried them on with the default size and was ready to return them in 5 minutes. Then I saw the other sizes in used a bigger one and it was night and day. Best BT headphones I've heard for working out. Battery lasts about 6 hours and can get a 1 hour charge in just 15 minutes. Sound is bass heavy which is what I like and Beats headphones work great with all Apple products. I've paired them with my iPhone 6, iPad mini 2, iMac and MacBook. BTW: I used ordered the 42mm SG today...hopefully deliver before Father's Day.

18. jediobiwan macrumors 6502

jediobiwan

I tried the Soundpeats Qy7 and am pretty amazed. I've only had them for ten days so I can't speak for long term durability yet but they are amazing so far. Sound way better than the regular Apple Soundbuds and I've only ever had a dropout when I put fifty feet and a few walls between my phone and myself. Work well with the Apple Watch as well although I don't really use them with it yet (currently a Beats Music user so my latest syncable music is like three years old).

I would try these before buying something more expensive honestly. If they don't work Amazon is great about returns.

Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STP86HC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_vKpFvbSQTETAB

19. Axestar macrumors newbie

I just bought a pair of Sony Bluetooth earbuds. They were <$100 on sale. They seem pretty good so far. Paired easily with the watch and seem like a good fit. I'll try them on a long run tomorrow. The volume initially seems quite quiet but you can turn up the default volume of the headset (albeit it's a little tricky to do).

20. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have a set of PlanTronics and at the moment I am drawing a blank on model. They mostly work fine.

If I start with them paired to the watch and don't interupt the connection they work great. But on days I am at the gym for a workout and also have a session with a trainer and I turn them off they never reconnect properly. Cut in and out like crazy which is frustrating.

21. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

The Apple Watch User Guide is really very good at explaining what the watch can do and how to do it.

As far as headphone suggestions, Jabra Rox in black are on sale in the US, but I don't know about in Sweden. I just got mine, but I am already very happy with them. They will be my gym headphones.