Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
It seems like BT headsets are on their way out and more focus are on BT headphones with built-in mics.

Any recommendation of which Type, brand and model to get for use while driving. Noise cancellation is a big feature.

Thanks in advance.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It seems like BT headsets are on their way out and more focus are on BT headphones with built-in mics.

Any recommendation of which Type, brand and model to get for use while driving. Noise cancellation is a big feature.

Thanks in advance.
I have a set of Bose QC35's which are great.
However like @ActionableMango says I'd not recommend them for driving.
Could you not upgrade your car or car stereo to a BT model?

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I have a set of Bose QC35's which are great.
However like @ActionableMango says I'd not recommend them for driving.
Could you not upgrade your car or car stereo to a BT model?

Yes you're both correct, I would never drive with both headsets. I currently have a Jawbone ERA with one ear set which works ok but battery life is giving our and needs a replacement.

I wanted to get a replacement of something similar but kept seeing options dwindle down...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't say the single-ear headsets are "on the way out". I think you see more stereo headsets because people are more likely to want one, and will use them for exercise or other day-to-day activities rather than the single-ear devices. The market is MUCH larger for stereo headsets and they become more prominently featured.

As noted by others, many states have laws in place that make use of stereo headsets while driving (or cycling even) illegal, but people do still do it. Same thing goes for hands-free cell phone use - illegal in many states but people still do it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
To expand on my previous post - noise cancellation while driving is a bad idea, even worse than using a stereo headset. If you're going to use a stereo headset with noise cancellation while driving, please at least let the rest of us know what roads you drive so we can plan to avoid you. Being aware of your surroundings (including audible clues) is a significant part of driving safely. [/soapbox]

I highly suggest looking at a call-oriented single-ear headset for use while driving. I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro that works quite well, is durable and has long battery life.

Reactions: jbachandouris

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
To expand on my previous post - noise cancellation while driving is a bad idea, even worse than using a stereo headset. If you're going to use a stereo headset with noise cancellation while driving, please at least let the rest of us know what roads you drive so we can plan to avoid you. Being aware of your surroundings (including audible clues) is a significant part of driving safely. [/soapbox]

I highly suggest looking at a call-oriented single-ear headset for use while driving. I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro that works quite well, is durable and has long battery life.

Not sure why everyone is ignoring Post #4 where I said I would never drive with both headsets....

How is the noise cancellation on the voyager?

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Not sure why everyone is ignoring Post #4 where I said I would never drive with both headsets....

How is the noise cancellation on the voyager?

The noise cancelling on the voyager is mediocre at best. Ive actually found most of the noise cancelling features on most headsets far below what they claim. Also to note if in a noisy environment your voice gets choppy as the headset is canceling noise from the back ground while your talking and just seems to break up your conversation.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
The noise cancelling on the voyager is mediocre at best. Ive actually found most of the noise cancelling features on most headsets far below what they claim. Also to note if in a noisy environment your voice gets choppy as the headset is canceling noise from the back ground while your talking and just seems to break up your conversation.

Jawbone seemed to do it pretty good but now that they're closing down, don't know where to go from there...

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I have used many dedicated BT headsets: Motorola, Bose, Plantronics etc. The Plantronics Voyager Legend was the last one I used and the best of the bunch.

However since 6 months they are all retired. I use the Apple AirPods while driving. I use only one of them which does comply with most state laws. I have been driving quite a bit in rental cars and they are better than the build in BT from most rental cars I drove (e.g. last week an Audi).

I drove earlier this year in Texas and was on the phone for 3 out of the 5 hour drive. In between I did get the low battery on the AirPod. Plugged in the other one and removed the one with low battery without the other end noticing it. With this you could talk 15 or so hours.
The call quality is better than any other headset I ever owned and the other end is confirming that they can hear me very well while driving. The AirPods pick up much less noise than the Plantronics or Bose. Of course if my Navigation system is providing direction the AirPods will pick it up.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I have used many dedicated BT headsets: Motorola, Bose, Plantronics etc. The Plantronics Voyager Legend was the last one I used and the best of the bunch.

However since 6 months they are all retired. I use the Apple AirPods while driving. I use only one of them which does comply with most state laws. I have been driving quite a bit in rental cars and they are better than the build in BT from most rental cars I drove (e.g. last week an Audi).

I drove earlier this year in Texas and was on the phone for 3 out of the 5 hour drive. In between I did get the low battery on the AirPod. Plugged in the other one and removed the one with low battery without the other end noticing it. With this you could talk 15 or so hours.
The call quality is better than any other headset I ever owned and the other end is confirming that they can hear me very well while driving. The AirPods pick up much less noise than the Plantronics or Bose. Of course if my Navigation system is providing direction the AirPods will pick it up.

I was thinking of how well the AirPods would do..Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.