Bt Home Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grahamdrew1, May 8, 2007.

1. grahamdrew1 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

I've got a three year old G5 and have just signed up to the new BT Home Hub - should arrive next week.

I want to connect the G5 desktop wirelessly to broadband - i think the G5 has airport extreme built in?

Do i need to buy any more hardware / software to be able to connect wirelessly with the hub when it arrives?

Also - is the wireless connection much slower than a cable connection?

I'm not very technical - so thanks anyone in advance! :)

Graham

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

G5 iMac or G5 PowerMac?

If it's an iMac it may well have built in airport extreme, but if memory serves, it initially was an optional extra. Click on the blue apple in the top left and select "about this Mac" - go to more info and see if it has Airport or not.

If it does you're pretty much all set. The home hub just needs to be plugged in like a normal router, and when your airport tries to access it (or you manually select it via the wi-fi icon in the top right bar) you will then have to enter the WEP key for the home hub - which is on the back of your home hub.
    Then you're all set! No need to worry about other software.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

as long as you have wifi on the G5 your good to go

the home hub has a Password on the back of it ! the only problem i have had is if left at default settings i had to use the BT Home Hub Setup disk to set up the connection.

or like me you can disable the wifi password then the Mac just finds and connect no problems ... as it should