Bt homehub 4 questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DocWandy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. DocWandy macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Bt HH4 with a Apple Time Capsule plugged in (bridge mode). This works well, wireless backups and access to the printer that's connected on the single usb port of the Time Capsule.

One limitation I've found with the TC is the single usb port. I'd love to be able to add a hard drive to my set-up but the printer is occupying the only usb port as described. I'd like to keep the TC free for backups, I appreciate it might be possible to partition some of the space.

One thought I had was to connect a HD to the usb port of the HH4- would this be OK? I could then use the TC for back-ups, the printer for any of my laptops and have my iphoto library on the HD connected to the HH4.

Seems reasonable? Thanks in advance, PS my first post so go gentle!

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I can't answer the question regarding the BT Homehub's USB port.

But if you need to add more USB devices to the Time Capsule you can use a USB hub (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421) to connect several printers and/or hard drives.

3. DocWandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect

Thanks, that would solve it perfectly. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

4. smellalot macrumors 6502

I suppose you want to backup your iPhoto library with your Time Capsule?
    Because Time Machine will backup only internal and external drives, but no network drives.

5. DocWandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Setup

Actually, I should have explained my aims better. I'd like the time capsule for backups and the external hard drive to store my iPhoto library. Currently, my library is on an old MacBook Pro. Since upgrading to a new retina MBP, I'm lacking disk space and don't want my library on my new machine. I planned on storing it on the external instead. This setup would be great and the suggestion to use a USB hub increases the flexibility of the time capsule quite a lot.

6. smellalot macrumors 6502

It was clear the first time you write that (or I still don't get it).
    What I was trying to say was: neither Time Machine on your Mac nor the Time Capsule by itself will backup any drives connected to the Time Capsule or your other router. So in your intended setup your iPhoto library won't get a backup.

7. DocWandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarity!

That's great, yes, I understand and appreciate that point. I back up my iPhoto library online using flickr pro. Overall, I've been impressed with time capsule, it really was super simple and convenient.