BT Infinity - Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by John T, Oct 18, 2010.

1. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I am experiencing diabolical download speeds via Orange and am tempted to switch to BT Infinity (my local, exchange has been enabled).

However, I understand that on installation, the BT engineer will instal a new main socket together with a new modem (understandable) and a new VDSL router.

I don't really want to dump my Airport Extreme and therefore wonder if this is compatible with VDSL.

2. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

Will be fine. Plug your Airport Extreme into the new Openreach NTE using a standard CAT5 Ethernet cable and enter your login details via the PPPoE section in the Airport Utility and away you go...

3. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

4. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

I recently had Infinity installed. I ditched the Hub (as they're terrible) and went with my AEBS combined with the Huawei modem the engineer kindly brought along.

Using the PPPoE settings, my connection will randomly drop. Apparently this is a known issue (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2508959&tstart=0) and has been unresolved for some time.

So, whilst it will work, it's a little sporadic. Just a heads up.

5. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

I'm running the same set up. More than happy with mine and Back to my Mac and iChat both work without issue now!

6. dezeeb, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

When you say it's dropping, is it definitely the PPP that's dropping or do you see the sync light on the Huawei box go out... it might not necessarily be the Airport, it could be losing VDSL sync...

Looking at that link, it seems that they're discussing a fair few different problems all at once to me. Some mention wireless and others mention wired connections, some between the clients and the router, and others the router and the ISP, it's all a bit messy.

Start at the Physical and work your way up :)