BT Infinity Broadband

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by robbieduncan, Jan 22, 2010.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

What is the value of having it super fast to the cabinet, and then just normal in to the property?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because the max speed a copper phone line can sustain decreases the further it has to go. If this is anything like AT&T's U-Verse setup in the US (which I think it is), they have fiber going to the cabinet and then from the cabinet to your house, it's only a couple thousand feet which is short enough to keep those high speeds over the copper that's already in place.

It's cheaper than fiber to the house because the cabinets are small and can be placed just about anywhere, and they only have to run fiber to one place (the cabinet) and hook it into the existing copper, instead of running fiber to all the homes.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Hopefully this will pressure Virgin Media to increase their piss-poor upload bandwidth :rolleyes:

Edit: YES - my exchange is on the list :D

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Bah, not on the list despite my exchange serving 17k+ people.

6. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Here in ireland chorus ntl is giving us 30MB Download and 3MB UP and unlimited bandwith alone for 42 euro including a free fibre modem. I'm so switching from BT/Vodafone because since the move my internet is ****ed up, I can google search something, and not get a result, heck mac rumors doesn't even work! It's like 52 euro for phone and broadband and I'm currently paying 60 for broadband and phone

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl