BT MM and KB continually drops signal!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brn2ski00, Feb 19, 2009.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have been recently seeing an issue with my Apple BT Alu KB and MM -- both seem to sporadically drop their connection to my iMac. I am running Leopard and the batteries in both were just recently changed. Its extremely annoying when you try and type something and your KB cuts out.

I have also noticed that my MM is choppy when it is connected, any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

have you added or moved something with wi-fi?
    the frequencies are close, and can interfere.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Also check if you've moved your phone charging to nearby as well. It's not usual for such interference to occur certainly via BT, but general wireless interference isn't unknown, especially if the phone has other wireless services enabled.

4. gwihannom macrumors member

It's very difficult to say what the problem is, because something like this "can" happen. (I know, it's not the best of explanation, but...)

Bluetooth is not perfect. It can drop connections and sometimes have difficulty connecting and disconnecting. Do you have any new wireless devices in the network that has been changed, positioned it differently, purchased any new metal objects nearby... seriously, it can be a hundred things.

I wouldn't think your iMac or your keyboard/mouse set is at defect here. Because even at sporadic, you do have connection.

Doing unscientific method sometimes help. Tilt your iMac further or lower and see if you see same spotty issue. Raise or lower your keyboard/mouse and see if that does anything. Side to side, etc. (I had done this, which my girlfriend called it the dumbest thing ever)
    By this, you might find what's causing the issue.
    Surface might be a problem, etc.

From having ideas from the basic what you said in your thread, is too vague.

5. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

To answer the above questions:

I have a PC laptop (used for work) sitting directly next to my iMac and using the same WiFi Signal.

My iPhone is also close by, but the WiFi is turned off.

I also have my work Motorola Q on the desk, but I don't believe that the WiFi is on -- and the BT is off.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

has the iPhone always been close by? it's exceptionally noisy (RF wise), especially if the wi-fi is turned off, since it's having to use the radio to check mail, and whatever.

try moving the phone an arms length or more away, or on the other side of the room and see if that helps.

7. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

yeah, the iphone is usually close by, but lately the problem has just gotten worse. let me try and move the WiFi and noisy things to see if it makes a difference.

it would be really too bad though if all my electronics couldn't play together.

8. gwihannom macrumors member

It is very strange... too bad, man.
    I have all my wifi, electronic things close by together. I don't have an iPhone, but my Verizon network doesn't interfere with Bluetooth. If I had to draw an imaginary line, my Bluetooth devices are actually in the way between my MBP and the router.
    iPod Touch is nearby, no problem for me with other Bluetooth devices.

You said you replaced the batteries, so that's not the problem... Maybe complete unpairing it and re-pairing it with your iMac? Check and see if your iMac connects with other Bluetooth devices.

I doubt it has anything to do with WiFi interference. I would say it's a connectivity issue between the keyboard/mouse set and iMac.

Do you have other computers with Bluetooth capabilities that you can check?

9. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Well after getting rid of anything but my MM and KB, the issue still remained this AM.

My MM was still choppy, but the KB seemed to be fine.

Question: If I unpair my BT devices, how am I supposed to control my computer?

10. gwihannom macrumors member

Did you get rid of the wired keyboard/mouse that came with your iMac originally? Try using that if you still have it.

11. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

never had one originally -- i bought it packaged with the BT versions.

12. gwihannom macrumors member

No more ideas, sorry man.
    Has there been any recent upgrades to your iMac?
    Anything that was changed before you started experiencing this.
    What happens when you have the devices really close to your iMac or really far from it?
    Close as in, underneath the machine or on top of the display.
    Just to see if it's any interference or distance issue.
    If not, Apple Genius will help you and ask you for the same things and tell you that one of your devices need to be replaced. Sucks.

13. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Well I appreciate the effort anyway -- I am stumped too.

I have tried keeping them super close - less than 4 inches from the foot -- still no luck. If the problem persists, I may switch over to the wired versions.

14. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Spaces!

For me the problem was solved when I disabled 2x2 Spaces.

I have no idea why, but my mouse or keyboard now never lags or disconnects. It's weird I know, but that is the only thing I have changed. Maybe spaces just chews up resources and eats into the BT processing in the CPU.

Thoughts?!

15. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I believe if you "forget ' the connection between your BT mouse and BT keyboard, your mac will automatically start the Bluetooth setup and search for mouse and keyboard. That way you have a fresh pairing with your iMac. I did work for me. Your mileage may vary :D