BT OpenZone Wi-Fi (UK) sucks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thunderbunny, Sep 13, 2010.

1. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Can never get it to let me in - anyone else had any luck? The cloud works fine, am with O2 so should have access to both networks.

2. oli356 macrumors 6502

Never.. i've never got into a free wi-fi hotspot in town

3. Pennine macrumors 6502

Me too it's pathetic, on O2 simplicity plan so I thought I was able to use it as well

4. oli356 macrumors 6502

Well surely anyone can use it.. I only have a wi-fi device so.

I managed to connect a few times but the IP wasn't right it doesn't start with the normal numbers. My home router has done this once, a restart of the router was needed.

5. thunderbunny thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

The O2 3G iPad plans state they include free usage of these two networks (anyone can use them but have to pay). Earlier today in London it wouldn't even take me to the right landing page, just now in Euston it is taking me to the iPad landing page and then to O2, but when I enter my number it gives an error and then says I'm already registered - fine, give me access then.

Luckily I have plenty of rolled over 3G allowance....

6. mrscribble macrumors newbie

I use it every day, never had any problems with it. I have BT Broadband at home which comes with free access to Openzone - I put my details in once and now I get onto any hotspot automatically. It's actually the most useful feature for me - I can pull into a service station and I've got a fast connection immediately. In London they're everywhere too, I don't need 3G.

Where kind of error are you getting? At first I was putting my login details into the Openzone login box, which didn't work - I had to change the drop-down to BT Fon, then it worked fine. The O2 one should work in a similar way I'd have thought.

7. oli356 macrumors 6502

ohh umm.. so what exactly happens when you actually try to load a page?

I thought it just lets you in.. so you need some sort of login stuff

I've had my ipod touch/ iPad in Reading (where i live) a few times. NEVER seen one of these hotspots anyway... when driving through London a few weeks ago i found a few

8. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

BT product not working - who's surprised

Come on guys - expecting a BT product to work - well really! Remember the hopeless BT Homehub. I gave up on it after one day. The wifi was so weak, you had to be in the same room to get any reception. It took 6 years to get BT to repair the 10+ corroded faulty joins on my line between the house and the T3 box (the green cast iron thing at the side of the pavement), so that my broadband would not pack up every time it rained. The main signal cables to our village T3 boxes from the exchange are over 50 years old.

I used to be on BTinternet but gave up as their dimwit help (= no help) desk would never listen but just carried on gabbling at me in broken English. Now at least Eclipse have a help desk who actually know what they are talking about and when there is a line problem, lean heavily on BT until they repair it. Even the government owned France Telecom, who I use at my French house, are better than BT.

Wilson

9. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Openzone has been fine for me. Mind you, if it's a matter of "I can't login" make sure Autofill in Safari is turned OFF.