Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hi everybody, I'm thinking about getting a D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth adapter*for my Powerbook Ti, and was wondering - if I get this, could I wake my Powerbook from sleep using the wireless keyboard or mouse? If not, any suggestions as to what adapter would let me wake from sleep from a wireless keyboard?

Second question, related to the first. Can any of you recommend a good wireless keyboard and mouse combo that is somehow rechargeable (mouse at least) and that is more affordable than buying Apple's hardware?

Thanks.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
livingfortoday said:
if I get this, could I wake my Powerbook from sleep using the wireless keyboard or mouse?

Yes, you can. I used that same set up when I had my Ti book and it worked great. The keyboard would always wake, the mouse was the only one that gave me some issue, but it did work for most of the time.

livingfortoday said:
Second question, related to the first. Can any of you recommend a good wireless keyboard and mouse combo that is somehow rechargeable (mouse at least) and that is more affordable than buying Apple's hardware?

Thanks.

I would check out logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboards, I think they have a kit that can charge. I personally really like the apple keyboard and mouse.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
ipacmm said:
Yes, you can. I used that same set up when I had my Ti book and it worked great. The keyboard would always wake, the mouse was the only one that gave me some issue, but it did work for most of the time.

Thanks!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
iHotu said:
I use the D-Link adapter with a 667 TiBook (VGA) and an Apple wireless keyboard, but I can not get the "wake from sleep" to work.

But you can get it to work with the mouse, then? Not the keyboard? But at least one of them will wake it?

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
iHotu said:
I use the D-Link adapter with a 667 TiBook (VGA) and an Apple wireless keyboard, but I can not get the "wake from sleep" to work. Followed all the instructions on this Apple support page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86524

but no luck. With the powerbook closed, a wired mouse will wake the computer, but not the wireless keyboard. Besides this, the Apple keyboard is great, the original batteries have lasted me over 3 months.

Are you sure you are using the newest D-Link adapter with the newest software because it will make a difference when it comes to waking the powerbook.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
iHotu said:
It's the right adapter, even bought it at the Apple Store. Neither the Apple keyboard or a RadTec BT500 mouse would wait it from sleep.

I use an external display most of the time and the best I can do is to adjusted to power settings to power down the display and hard drive.

I don't want to discourage you from getting the adapter, it works perfectly otherwise. Apple just seems a little vague on which systems the wake from sleep function is supported. Their attitude was if you download the updates and the option is still dimmed, then it’s not support.

I remember that d-link updated their bluetooth adapter and the new one is the one that will work with the mouse and keyboard, I do not know how old your adapter is but the one that I bought worked great compared to the older one from a few years ago that I used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.