BT & WiFi interference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collaboration, Apr 28, 2014.

1. collaboration macrumors newbie

Anyone have interference problem between bluetooth and WiFi?

My bluetooth devices are affecting the internet connection - making internet speed really slow.

I have tried to change the WiFi channels a few times which does improve the internet speed but not as much as when I turn off the bluetooth!!

Is there best ways of finding the right WiFi channel?

Or is this more of hardware issue? It's MBPr 13"

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

YES! I have the same issue too. I would get frequent wifi connection drops whenever I have bluetooth turned on. Tried changing wifi channels and still no luck.

I've tried everything except trying to connect to a 5 ghz dual band router because apparently my bluetooth signal was overlapping my wifi signal on my rMBP 13" on my 2.4 ghz.

I called up Comcast yesterday and requested a 5 ghz router, they said bring it in today (service centers closed on Sundays) and they'll swap out a new one. Well, this morning I took the old one to the service center down the street but they said none of the service centers have it in stock yet because it had just came out earlier this month. So I got home and called up Comcast again and they said give it 3 weeks and call back when all the new models get shipped out to the service centers.

3. collaboration thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... I really don't want to get another router :mad:

It's weird that my other MBP 15-inch is fine with the exactly same bluetooth devices!! That's why I've asked if it would be more of the hardware problem.

Could you let me know how you get on? Thanks

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

My older mid-2009 MBP 13" had no problems whatsoever with the bluetooth enabled too! lol, that's what makes it so weird. I had the same device connected to that machine as I do my late 2013 rMBP and it drops every 10-15 seconds. Like seriously, I don't get it.

What do you mean "how I get on"? Get on what? lol

5. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Used a Magic Mouse on BT for a while and never had any problems with interference. Was on 802.11n 2.4&5GHz and a Virgin Superhub 2.

6. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I have a BT HH4 and have no problems when bluetooth is switched on.

7. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I have a BT Home Hub 5 and I'm running Mavericks on a rMBP.
    I did some reading on this type of thing and the consensus was that the switching from 2.4 to 5 GHz done by the router can upset Mavericks and it can drop the connection.
    I unlinked the two bands in the router settings and chose specific channels (effectively stopping channel switching) and gave the two bands different SSID's and connect only to the 5GHz band and I've had no problems to date.
    For 5GHz to be usable on a permanent basis the computer needs to be close to the router - otherwise 2.4 GHz could be your only choice.

8. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I've never heard of BT Home Hub...is that a UK router? I'm from the states.

9. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

BT (British Telecom) is the main landline phone supplier here in the UK, the Home Hub is their modem-router combo.

Barney

10. Quackers macrumors 6502a

What he said :D
    It's not a great router but it's adequate - though some have had problems with them.
    One thing that can upset some computers is that the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band have the same SSID. Separating them can improve things.

11. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

That's just a router, correct? So you connect that router to your actual modem?

my modem has a built in router (2.4ghz), that's why the 5ghz model hasn't been released to the public yet, until a couple more weeks. I think I should just wait for that to come...

12. Quackers macrumors 6502a

13. Kasalic macrumors regular

Had the same issue with some of the older MacBook Pro's and a Home Hub 5, worked fine once I unlinked the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

14. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

What are my options?

1) Call Apple support?
    2) Call Comcast support?
    3) Bring in my rMBP to apple to set up a genius bar appointment?
    4) Wait for the new 5ghz Comcast router/modem to be released to the public?

15. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Yep, I have the exact same issue, HOWEVER, only in windows :confused:

In OSX everything is perfectly fine, but with windows wifi slows to a crawl when I'm using bluetooth.