BTO 2012 Air shipped damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by littfam, Jul 5, 2012.

1. littfam macrumors regular

Well.....after all the waiting, I received a damaged Air. It was delivered today, and has this dent in the under case! Oh well I will take it back to an apple store, and get a new one.

Attached Files:

2. infectedfall macrumors newbie

Not to poop on your parade but you will not be able to get a BTO mac at the apple store. You'll have to wait for them to ship you a new one, even though I am sure they'll get you it as fast as possible.

3. Hichisky macrumors member

Do you have a pentalobe screwdriver to remove the panel? It looks like you may could press it out. Just a thought.

4. Trunks87 macrumors newbie

Don't open the unit up if you want to return it. I'd return it because that dent was caused by impact force. This means anything inside it might've been damaged and may cause problems down the road.

5. MacBird macrumors 6502

Definitely don't open it and contact Apple as quickly as possible. This kind of dent makes me really wonder how they handle these packages during transportation.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Crazy. Looks like they ran it over with a tank. They really need to handle their stuff better.

7. skuid87 macrumors regular

I had the same problem (though the damage wasn't quite as substantial as yours!)

Call them up. They'll arrange a new delivery and send a courier to pick up the last one.

You should also make sure that they send new one out with priority shipping and compensate you appropriately for the trouble. I got a £50 rebate.

8. littfam thread starter macrumors regular

I have a phone call arranged with Apple for early this morning. I was too tired to deal with it last night. I have to say that at this point I've had better luck with refurbs. Which I usually buy. The last "new" unit I purchased was a 2010 Mac mini that actually went up in smoke from a defective logic board within 24 hours. Needless to say, I kicked that kid out of the house too. "2 for 2" I guess. I know that's not the norm, but figures my luck lol!

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I think with refurbished units you are less likely to get a production defect because they have been personally inspected before sale. Remember, refurbished units are either units that people returned because they changed their minds, or units that have been repaired. For instance, the one that you are sending back likely will be repaired and resold in a few weeks or months as a refurbished unit. The new units come straight from the production line.

10. littfam thread starter macrumors regular

Update: They were really nice at the Apple Store, and were willing to upgrade me from the damaged (i7 256 8gig) to a 512 SSD unit for $270 right there in the store (it was in stock). I really don't need that much space, and not willing to part with the cash, so they let me keep the damaged machine until the new one arrives next week expedited shipping. It all worked out good IMO.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

Geez, I'd jump all over that offering! Glad they worked it out for you.

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

That sucks but glad it worked out. I waited 3 weeks for my retina mbp just to find out it had a pressure mark on the screen. So now I'm waiting another 3 weeks because it's CTO :(

13. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

Woah! I received my new air yesterday and I have a dent in the EXACT same spot that's identical. So weird. I shipped it back to apple this morning haha and waiting on funds to be returned so I can repurchase. I wonder if ours was just part of a batch that got dented during manufacturing?

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

lol really?

15. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised they didn't just swap out the panel... or are the S/N printed on the under-panel?

16. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I don't think that happened in transit. Anything that left a dent in the case would have torn the box it shipped in to pieces. There's an outer corrugated cardboard box from Fedex/UPS, the white inner Apple box, inner insulation and then finally the computer.

I'm betting this happening in the factory and wasn't caught before boxing.

Anyway, sucks for the OP. You spend time anticipating your new purchase and it comes and it's useless. :(