BTO iMac pcie ssd hdd.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gab0.1992, Jun 13, 2014.

1. gab0.1992 macrumors member

I'm planning to replace the factory 256gb SSD which came with the BTO iMac to an 512gb. Also in planning to add another SSD in the hdd area but since the iMac was BTO without the hdd I don't know if comes with the brackets and Sata cable.

Anyone of you guys opened with similar specs?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I don't know which iMac you have, but I was asking a similar question about the 2012 BTO iMac with SSD on these forums earlier.

Someone posted pictures which indicated that the hard disk mounting bracket and cable were not included in BTO units which didn't come with a hard drive. However, they were available for purchase from some of the Mac parts houses to add it yourself. There was also a different mounting tension-spring for units with a hard disk to compensate for the added weight, but I suspect that replacement part wouldn't be needed if a lightweight SSD was intended in the hard disk mounting location.

I decided NOT to open my iMac and possibly void the AppleCare when it was so easy to add an external Thunderbolt SSD and/or hard disk. A small bus powered drive easily mounts to the support arm and is hardly noticeable.

I can't seem to find the post at this time ... but if I locate it I will post the link here.

-howard

3. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Thankss! Yes sorry I didn't mention it. Mine is the 2013. I guess it won't have it. I was looking the parts and already buy the cable.

I don't know if just put the SSD or fond the brackets and put it with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Since it is connected with a cable rather than plug-in-mount, I might be inclined to simply use a bit of self-stick velcro since the SSD is so light weight, and simply stick it to the shell or anything handy in the mounting area. As you mentioned, once you have the bracket, you might still require a mounting adapter for 2.5"-to-3.5" form factor which additionally raises the cost.

5. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Yep I think I'll use just the SSD alone. I have been looking the post of the inside BTO iMac you mention but I couldn't find it.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I did find this in my notes, but I know I have more info somewhere... :roll eyes:

27" iMac (Late 2012) Hard Drive Data/Power Cable
    Part Number - 923-0312

VHB Replacements Strips (Pack of 20) - 076-1419