BTO iMac Retina 5K DOA

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dingosatemybaby, Oct 29, 2014.

1. dingosatemybaby macrumors newbie

Picked up my built to order Retina 5K this evening. Got home, plugged it in, heard the boot up chime and then... nothing. Just a black screen. The fan kicks in about a minute later (very loud), but the screen never comes on. I can pair the keyboard and hear keystrokes, but screen stays black. The only good thing I can say is yep, you truly can't see any pixels no matter how hard you look.

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

This is what you get for receiving your riMac before I did :cool:

3. Roller macrumors 68020

Well, that sucks. Hope you get it taken care of ASAP.

4. DerekS macrumors 6502

Sorry for your bad luck! Here's hoping for a speedy replacement.

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Same thing happened to me in 2009 with my BTO I7 iMac. The replacement is still working though.

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Our sympathies. I was worried about the same thing (unpacked mine this morning). Sorry to hear of its death... hope you haven't waited two weeks for the thing to be delivered as happens here...

7. dingosatemybaby thread starter macrumors newbie

It was about a two week wait. Chatted with support tonight and they are having a sr. advisor call me in the morning to discuss options. Its disappointing, but truly a first world problem not worth lamenting over. Apple will take care of it.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I had a similar experience last year with my late 2013 iMac. Apple replaced it but it took them a while. At the end I had to contact Tim Cook to speed up things..(which also worked).
    Now I sold my late 2013 iMac and got the Retina iMac. An amazing computer and I am sure, when you get a working one, you will love it.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

OP,

I am terribly sorry to hear this. I guess it happens on rare occasion, but I'm sure it's still a big disappointment for you.

On the lighter side of things, I laughed pretty hard when I read the last sentence in your first post. That was pretty funny!

Best wishes for a speedy replacement,
    Bryan

10. powerless macrumors member

The only option that you have is to wait for your new one to be built and your DOA to be picked up. Another two weeks of waiting (?), but there isn't a lot that can be done.

11. dingosatemybaby thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to a local Apple Store. Fortunately it was a simple fix- display cable had come unplugged inside the case. Good to go!

12. macmee Suspended

macmee

That's a good attitude to have :)

13. enroh macrumors member

thats awesome but I think i would rather get a direct replacement and wait (as painful as that would be)

14. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

*rolleyes* A cable was loose. You gain literally nothing from waiting for a replacement.

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Ah, but they've let all the factory air out of the inside now, so it's worth nothing to an Apple collector second-hand... :cool:

16. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

And yet... there is something to be said for a factory sealed unit :)

17. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Maybe one of those delivery guy videos throwing the box over the fence.... cringe....:eek:

18. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

At this point, really no. It was one thing with the old machines where they would get dust in between the LCD and the glass. With the glass bonded to the LCD, there is nothing to contaminate. Everything else has external air flowing through it.

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

... which is?