Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Ah! I'm not looking for advice, I'm just looking to lament! I ordered the 24" BTO iMac, 3.06ghz, 320gb drive and 8800GS. I opened up the box (excitedly), installed my new 4gb ram, turned it on and ouch! I have a nasty HD2600 Pro in it!

I've waited for so long! I was going to spend the whole night setting up this machine to replace my MBP....

WAAAAAAH!!!! :(

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Ah! I'm not looking for advice, I'm just looking to lament! I ordered the 24" BTO iMac, 3.06ghz, 320gb drive and 8800GS. I opened up the box (excitedly), installed my new 4gb ram, turned it on and ouch! I have a nasty HD2600 Pro in it!

I've waited for so long! I was going to spend the whole night setting up this machine to replace my MBP....

WAAAAAAH!!!! :(

Believe or not some of us actually chose the 2600 over the 8800 in the 3.06GHz configuration.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's all well and good for you guys, but I PAID for the 8800GS (my preference, that's all). I'm just bummed because I had a lot of work to do on it tonight to get it ready to use at my office tomorrow.

Maybe they'll give me a free iPod Touch for my troubles?!?! j/k

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
That's all well and good for you guys, but I PAID for the 8800GS (my preference, that's all). I'm just bummed because I had a lot of work to do on it tonight to get it ready to use at my office tomorrow.

Maybe they'll give me a free iPod Touch for my troubles?!?! j/k

Dunno. I had to send back my first 24" because it had a sea of stuck pixels. I had the replacement in a week. I got a free .Mac subscription out of the deal.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Dunno. I had to send back my first 24" because it had a sea of stuck pixels. I had the replacement in a week. I got a free .Mac subscription out of the deal.

Did you ask them for that subscription, or is that something they just threw in?

Just wondering what I can get out of this! What a pain in the a$$!

(still not as bad as the Canadian iPhone plans though!)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Sigh. I wonder what's going to happen. I ordered this unit through a Campus Computer store, and the guy who runs the store says that 'we' might be snookered on this one (using his words).

But I confirmed, and he confirmed that's what he ordered, so if he sent that to Apple and they screwed up they should take it back. If he screwed up - then he should take it back!

Wow. Just what I was hoping to not have to deal with.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Sigh. I wonder what's going to happen. I ordered this unit through a Campus Computer store, and the guy who runs the store says that 'we' might be snookered on this one (using his words).

But I confirmed, and he confirmed that's what he ordered, so if he sent that to Apple and they screwed up they should take it back. If he screwed up - then he should take it back!

Snookered? No way, if it was Apples fault they would replace it. It sounds like he may have screwed up the order and if he takes it back it'll cost him. Contact Apple directly if you have to. Get what you paid for.

thecrackerjack

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
I have a similar experience.

I ordered my 24" with a working Optical drive and it came with a dead one.

Now its in for warranty repair and I may not have it for another week. I'm very upset with this as well and I think I'll phone them back and request compensation if possible. I have lost a week in production on their DOA iMac. Kinda makes you think twice about a Dell, at least you can fix that yourself.

Anyways....

I called Apple Care last night to question them about doing a swap of the unit and they advised Apple has a no questions asked policy for returns in the first 14 days. They simply take it back (you need your Apple order number) and refund you the cost and you have to re-order.

All the best of luck.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Wow, that sucks.

Call Apple and complain. Escalate your case to customer relations and they'll offer you compensation if you want. Maybe 100$ credit or something. You deserve it. That's a HUGE PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!!! Especially after spending so much money.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with your "old" imac? If you really want the latest and greatest, why not just want for Montevina?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The reason I am getting a new iMac even though I have another 24" is because this one is for work, my 2.33 is for home use. Lucky me!

Really lucky. I got a little firmer with the guy, and now he has re-ordered the top of the line 3.06 for me. It has cost me a week of work, but he has been really good about it overall. It's a pain in the butt for both of us, I'm just glad it wasn't my fault!

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
The reason I am getting a new iMac even though I have another 24" is because this one is for work, my 2.33 is for home use. Lucky me!

Really lucky. I got a little firmer with the guy, and now he has re-ordered the top of the line 3.06 for me. It has cost me a week of work, but he has been really good about it overall. It's a pain in the butt for both of us, I'm just glad it wasn't my fault!

Let's just hope there are no more bad surprises. Good luck! :D

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006

I know not everyone has the luxury of having an Apple Store nearby, but I will never deal with any Apple Authorized Reseller. Our campus computer store is horrendous with their customer service, and their Apple Authorized Service Provider certification is also useless. It's worth the extra trip to the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.