BTO machines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaronw1986, Jun 9, 2007.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Is it a bad idea to get a BTO machine since you can't return it? When purchasing with student developer discount, could you return anyway? FAQ states, "There are no refunds on items purchased through the ADC Hardware Purchase Program." I want the 7200rpm drive for 15 inch MBP, but is this a bad decison? I don't want to add it later and void the warranty.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Imo it's better to bto. Why would you want to return it?

FJ

3. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

In the case of some problem that some have had, kernel panics, screen bleeding...things which they took back and got a replacement unit for.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I would like to think Apple would return a machine with the same spec that they supplied.

FJ

5. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

From what I've gathered, they don't offer replacement units for BTO machines...At least until the same thing has needed to be repaired 3 times, and this is not even required. I am worried about receiving the unit, already having taken weeks due to BTO, then having some issue. Seems like I would then need to send it in to be repaired, or, if something like a dead pixel, it probably wouldn't even be fixed. However, someone with a stock machine can just go to a store, and demand (nicely of course) a replacement right there. Because I am buying through the developer store, maybe it wouldn't even matter if it was stock? Can someone help with this? Would I just be screwed if something was wrong, as it could be considered a "special" purchase or something?

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they're no more apt to simply replace a stock computer than a bto computer.....nobody can just "demand a replacement" in the way you suggest, purchasers of a stock computer will pay a 10% restocking fee if they decide they want to return their purchase. Apple will want to repair first and replace later no matter whether it's stock or bto.

if "something is wrong", than apple will be obligated to fix it

8. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

There have been people who have gotten a replacement without a restocking fee. They are not returning their purchase, but exchanging it. If it's one dead pixel they are not obligated to fix it, as they have a policy. Maybe they would be obligated to replace a bleeding screen though.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Apple's replacement policy is the same for BTO as it is for stock products.
    If there is a problem with it, they will fix or replace it and their discretion.
    The only thing you gain with stock is that a local Apple store would exchange it for a new one within the first 14 days.

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Having worked in retail for over 25 years all over the US, I can tell you that here are NO laws ANYWHERE in the US that REQUIRES ANY retailer to accept returns and give you your money back. Returns for a refund are done as a service to their customers only !!!!!! Been there, done that :D

There ARE however, laws in EVERY state that REQUIRES ALL retailers to clearly post their return policies in public view. These laws cover all of the requirements that must be spelled out in the policy, like "must have a receipt and all original packaging, and be within xx # of days of purchase" AND also a list of items that can NOT be returned under any circumstances, and most of the time, custom-built/special-order items are on this list.

Exchanges for like items due to defects are covered under a completely different set of rules, because ALL retailers ARE required to stand behind the products they sell, and would be foolish not to work with their customers to achieve satisfaction.

There are also laws in most states that mandate that if an item cannot be repaired under warranty in 3 attempts, it MUST be replaced with a new/comparable item at NO COST to the consumer. Commonly referred to as "Lemon Laws", check with your local BBB, CAD/CPA agencies for details.......

And finally, getting a discount on an item does NOT change the terms of the return policy, UNLESS the item itself is clearly identified and marked "SOLD AS IS", or "NO RETURNS, REFUNDS or EXCHANGES"

11. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, thanks. I am not talking about returning it, as in getting a refund, but an exhange if something is wrong. I think it would suck to get it wiht some problems, and then have to send it if for repairs right off the bat.