BTO question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kukrisna, Mar 3, 2011.

1. kukrisna macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm likely going BTO in about a week. Just wondering if BTO MBPs get an extra "once-over"/QC treatment a la the refurbs.

Thanks!

Best,
    Keith

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. kukrisna thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the extra questions, but how does it work exactly? Are BTO modded stocks where things are added after, or are they added during the assembly process and therefore undergo the same inspection as you said?

Thanks!

-Keith

4. firesong macrumors member

Hey. :)

I guess BTO would mean Built To Order, so it's assembled specifically for you. :)

/FS

5. kukrisna thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just am not sure if they build it to order during the assembly line so it gets the same inspection, or if they take a stock one after inspection but before packaging, gut it, make the changes, and then do another once over and re-inspect.

But the first way seems to make more sense, or else they'd have piles of hard drives just lying around, and it would probably cost more labor time to mod it and look at it again.

But was curious anyway as the refurbs get that special once-over to make sure it's up to par.

-Keith

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

They build the computer from the ground up with your specifications. All receive the same inspection before they are shipped.