BTO question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Whackintosh, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

If I were to order a machine with additional memory, it seems this would lock me out of the option of doing a return within 14 days if I wasn't happy with it. Would I still have the option of sending it back in order to buy a more expensive machine?

Specifically, I don't want to buy an iMac unless I'm really stuck and am hoping that a maxed out mini will be more than fast enough for light video editing, photoshop etc. If I play with one and determine it's not what I;d hoped for, I'm hoping to have the option of sending it back and paying the difference for an Imac, without incurring additional fees. Does anyone know if that kind of thing would be possible?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm not sure why I'm responding, as Apple has been obscenely good about breaking their own rules for me. :p

In August of aught six, we bought a Core Duo iMac. The Core 2s came out a month later, so I wrote Apple and they allowed me to make an in-home swap.

Earlier this year, one of my clients ordered a custom 20" iMac, and then her board of directors reversed their approval of the purchase, and I was able to get Apple to approve the return of the custom computer, printer, and even the engraved iPod touch that came with it.

I am currently in talks with the Developer Connection to see if I can simply uncancel my Mac Pro from the original order (on which it was cancelled) so that I don't have to return the printer that was already shipped before ordering again.

So Apple has a history of breaking their own rules. Make your case and see what they say. If you're jumping to an iMac, I don't see why they wouldn't let you return it (10% restocking fee) for one.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Depends where you live. If you are from the UK it will be fine. If you are from the States 10% restocking fee may apply.

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in Canada. :)

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

So there is a chance of a 2009 Mac Pro update or a chance of a 2009 Mac Pro price drop later this year :).

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

It really does depend on the manager you speak to. I purchased an iMac about 4 years ago and after 3 weeks the hard drive failed because of consistent kernel panics. At first the Genius at Yorkdale in Toronto was going to simply take it for repairs and I was out of a machine for two weeks.

That would have been following policy. I asked to talk to a sales manager and made my case. They allowed an exchange for a new machine as a DOA instead. I was much happier with that outcome.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. That has absolutely nothing to do with their system of shipment and returns.

There will be no an update and there will be no price drop.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Well then I'm not sure, but I'd guess that they would follow the same rules as the US.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

So you are saying that Apple follows their rules in some cases but not in others ?

The truth is that Apple does what's best for Apple. If Mac Pro sales are badly lagging behind their forecast, they will do what is necessary to boost them.

I'm not saying that Apple will have another 2009 Mac Pro update or a 2009 Mac Pro price cut but I think there could be a chance of it happening. If Apple does have another 2009 Mac Pro upgrade or lowers the prices, will you post a thread admitting you were wrong :) ?