BTO really only BTO?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vervet, Jun 14, 2009.

1. vervet macrumors newbie

Hi,
    this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if the top specced Macbook Pros really are only available by courier. Is there no chance they have a few 3.06Ghz 17" in the bigger stores, like the one in Regent Street, London?

I don't like buying stuff like this online, I want the instant gratification of walking into a store, pay and go home to play with my shiny new toy instead of spending a week refreshing a tracking page (yeah I know, I should grow up...).

Couldn't find anything about this by searching, sorry if the question has been asked before.

2. MADMAXX macrumors member

3. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that was what I thought until a friend of mine who otherwise is very knowledgable about mac stuff told me they usually kept a few of the ones that are supposed to be BTO in stock in some stores anyway.

Was almost getting my hopes up, guess I'll either have to be patient or settle for a few ghz less :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

On occasion, Apple stores will have some custom configurations on hand. Best to call your local store and ask.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple regularly carries the 17" MBP with higher specs than the standard model. Its best to call.

6. MADMAXX macrumors member

Not in the UK they dont. Trust me on this one.

7. mcbane666 macrumors member

Depends on the store, a few will have different configs in stock. and 90% of the good ones carry the parts anyway and will install them for you on the spot.

They will defiantly have the different base models in a size ( fast and slow cpu 15in ect) so after thats its just a hard drive and memory

8. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooh, great news that at least there's a possibility I might get the model I want in store, thanks for the replies! I'll give them a call when I'm back in the UK on tuesday and let you know what I find out :)

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

only HUGE stores would have BTO in stock, and very rarely too.

10. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

When I was shopping for my MBP, they told me the only modification they could do in-store was the RAM. (This was 2 separate Apple Stores)

11. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say the one in Regent Street in London is as big as they come in Europe, and with the opinions you guys express being so divided I think it warrants a quick call on tuesday to find out if they'll sell me a 3.06ghz or not :)

12. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Good luck finding one!

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

they do actually, at least in the regent street, bluewater and brent cross stores

14. MADMAXX macrumors member

I know staff in Regent street backoffice (uk head office for retail is hanover sq) and I can tell you now. They dont.

Adamlikesmusic is indeed right. I have asked this of my contacts before. As I have a BTO 15 on order and all my mac kit has been BTO in the past. BTO's are not held in store at all. Memory can be installed in larger stores, GFX and HDD can be fitted but only when ordered into stock. But BTO's like 3.06 version of 15 or 17 lappys are not kept at all.

15. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Where was this at? I was in an Apple store the other day with my cousin who was purchasing one and they upgraded the RAM and HDD for him. Only because they had a HDD ordered for somebody else but he never came to pick it up.

For them to say that they would ONLY do RAM is weird. I understand if they didn't have any HDD to upgrade though.

16. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

maybe things have changed then, because I nearly bought one such item in the regent street apple store in 2007:eek:

17. Widgetal macrumors newbie

I walked into the Kingston Apple Store last week and walked out with my 3.06GHz 17" MBP.

So yes, actually some stores do. Perhaps phone ahead and check like I did. And also, don't listen to all the people on these forums!

18. MADMAXX macrumors member

I was only relaying what I have been told on numerous occasions. Frustrates me also, as otherwise I like the OP would prefer to walk into a store.

Please, dont shoot the messenger.

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

So your saying your so impatient that you might rather get a less ghz than just wait a little while?

20. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks, nice to get confirmatiom from someone who acually bought one recently :)

21. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm saying the increase in speed is not very important to me, but if I can get it without any extra hassle I'd like to have it, if not I still get a great laptop and spend a little less money, which is quite ok as well.

22. vervet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses, and glad I checked before going to the apple store. Went there yesterday evening, and was first told that yes they had matte 3.06ghz in stock, I should just go downstairs and ask for it at the counter where they found it quite amusing that I would even ask such a thing - no 3.06ghz in stores! And then they closed the store for the night.

Went back today, asked the first guy I found if they had a matte 17" or two in the store for sale, and yes indeed they did but no 3.06ghz. So here I am typing this on my beautiful store bought "BTO" macbook pro. Guess the lesson learned is if in any doubt, don´t take no for an answer :)

23. MADMAXX macrumors member

I did say what I had been told. that "..... BTO's like 3.06 version of 15 or 17 lappys are not kept at all."

Looks like I was told correctly? Even their own staff were confused. I said before, I have a contact at Hanover Sq and he constantly tells me to stop asking as regent street dont keep BTO's I suppose screens can be done in store (as my macbook screen has been repaired instore the last 2 times it failed)

I was afterall only trying to help. :confused: