BTO replacements

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

It sounds like the majority of BTOs (esp the 2.53 models) primarily get the faster 7200 drives...unless you're getting the 2.8 upgrade, the HD is all you can do for the 2.53 since it already comes w/ 4 gb of RAM.

Now, if you have your 2.53 upgraded to the 320 gb 720rpm HDD, is the only difference between that and a stock 2.53 the faster HD? Do they build them from scratch and put in the HD, have some models laying around w/ no HD and simply install the 7200 or do they take a stock model and swap out drives? Is there anything else that they do to it? I would think not....so if thats the *only* difference and you need a replacement, couldn't you take it to an Apple Store and do an exchange there? I've heard they will often swap your HD into the new machine you're getting to save time instead of doing a complete file migration. If thats the case why can't they just swap your 7200 drive into the stock one and do the exchange right then & there instead of Apple paying to ship another one over from China (and the customer having to wait). If there's any sort of tweaking that gets done at the factory then that would make sense but I can't think of anything that would be different.

2. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

Chances are, when they have enough orders they build a run of the CTO machines. I doubt they're reworking existing machines into the new configuration.

So far as swapping the drive in store, the serial number of the machine would reveal its original configuration and changing something afterwards could cause problems with the warranty.

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

no they just wont take a bto back in the store, they dont ship those out.. (what they told me)

4. vista.john macrumors regular

From what I understand, they have very strict inventory policy. Can't just swap parts from here to there. Just for the sole purpose of easy management...

5. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

hmmm, seems like a very expensive way to run things if you ask me. Seriously, the cost of shipping these BTOs back & forth to China must be astronomical by the time its all said & done.
    ...not to mention it should factor in on their new "green" awards. Its all part of the process and doesn't end when the initial machines are produced.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

This is the company that designed a screen catch mechanism (Mac Book Pro last gen) in which if it failed the only thing Apple could do was replace the entire screen for the sake of a 50 pence part.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

they dont ship it to china, they ship it to california