BTS with next gen iPod and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by letfunbegin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. letfunbegin macrumors newbie

I need a new laptop, and I've decided to have a go with a mac. Being a student I qualify for the Back to School offer, which will let me buy any mac and get an iPod cheaply.

This offer ends september 8th. Is there any chance that..

* The next generation of iPods launch before this date?
    * Snow Leopard launch before this date?

I'm merely assessing when to buy, so any advice would be appreciated.

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I doubt either is very likely. I think mostly the Back To School iPod offer is to get rid of most of the current allotment of the current generation than anything else. I'm also pretty certain that is why the promo ends on September 8th, which will be on or about when Apple will have the iPod event that will likely announce new models. Snow Leopard is not as big of an issue as it will only cost you $9.95 to get the upgrade if it is not out by that time.

3. letfunbegin thread starter macrumors newbie

I realise it might not seem like a big deal as I can just get the upgrade for $10 or so, but then again I'd really like to be able to install it directly.

About the Back to School offer, you're probably very much right. It makes sense anyway. Guess I'll wait it out come September and maybe get lucky!

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

BTS only covers iPods that were already out when the promotion began - as has been stated it's to clear inventory for when the new models are released; even if BTS ends after the iPod event, new iPods won't be included as part of the deal.

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Yup, when the Ipod Touch 2.0 was out it was not included.

6. letfunbegin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers! It appears I'm in no rush then :)

7. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

If you are in the market for a new mac, why don't you buy the mac now with the bts iPod, and sell the iPod to either subsidize the cost of the new mac, or the price of a new iPod if you plan on purchasing one when they are released?

8. grapemac macrumors regular

Yep. Best to get the iPod now so (if you'd rather have the next generation) you can sell it as soon as possible as a 'current generation' instead of waiting until the new ones are out and having to sell it as a 'previous generation'.