Buddie's iMac is on the fritzzz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevey500, Jan 11, 2009.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

My buddy austin has a 2.4 Core2duo mid 2007 aluminum iMac with some issues.

He's barely past his warranty and a few days ago he called me over to take a look at it.

. He keeps his computer clean and well kept, as in the filesystem and the actual hardware (not taking it apart, just a very clean environment). It's running leopard, he said it was running perfect earlier that morning until he hit "install all updates" and the system went to restart, it got hung up while installing an HP printer drivers update that was in the apple automatic updates... it wasn't going anywhere and it gave him an installation failed error.

It was totally hung up idle doing nothing, shut it down.

Restarted it. Took a long time. Booted, launched itunes to jam out for a while, randomly hung up and beachballed (music stopped), nothing was working correctly. Clearly the system was having trouble reading the hard drive.

Tried repairing permissions, no go. Verified the hard drive.. took a long time to give a few errors. Tried doing the same tasks from startup disk, I can't remember the exact error, it was a common one that I seen a lot on the board, everybody had different responses of what to do.

I did what always works for me .. went to single-user /sbin/fsck -fy

... thousands of errors just flowed and flowed through the screen for probably 20 minutes.

Repaired successfully.

Restarted. Works flawlessly.

A week later, I'm now two hours away up in salt lake city. It's doing it again. So, having all of his data backed up on an external, he booted from leopard install disk, disk - util, erase in journaled, options>zero out. .. . failed.

Restarted. Disk util will not even show the drive anymore.

Last option.. Take it apart and find upgrade the hard drive?

Anyone have the best guide of how to take the aluminum imac apart that I could give him a link to ?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Same thing happened to me with my 1.5ghz powerbook 12" right after warranty.

Sucks!

can't wait for Big and cheap SSD's.

thanks !

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

This is why you buy applecare, esp. on an iMac :) taking apart an iMac ain't easy, and Applecare, comparative to the cost of the machine, is really really cheap.

Sounds like the drive is def. dead. There are guides around online on how to disassemble an iMac, but you better get some strong suction cups to get the glass screen off.