Budget NAS Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by james714, Oct 15, 2011.

1. james714 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I just recently moved me and my wife from our old Macbook Pros to Macbook Airs. Given the smaller storage space of the MBA, I was in the market for a budget/consumer friendly NAS. I did a search on the forums and it looks like there are some professional grade/DIY versions available, but given the time and money constraints, I would like to keep the NAS spending to < $175.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a budget NAS? My only requirements are that the NAS will work well with OSX Lion, is under $175, and has more than 1TB space.

So far, my options on Amazon look like:
    Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB for $148
    Buffalo Technology LinkStation Live 2 TB for $130
    Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive for $140

I believe only the WD MBL is Lion compatible. The others are still working on firmware upgrades, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Much appreciate everyone's insights.

James

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

In your price range, I like the offerings from LaCie. I currently have a Network Space 2.

I'm not a big fan of Buffalo, Western Digital, Iomega or Seagate. I've tried all of them and I wasn't happy. I don't like the Apple Time Capsule either after one failed on me after 18 months and took our only copy of our daughter's files with it. One advantage of the Time Capsule is it is rumored to cache software updates. If you have 3 or 4 Macs in the house and don't want to hit Apple's server 3 times for the same combo update, Time Capsule could be a definite advantage... if the rumors are true.

3. james714 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Just saw that B&H has it for $139 for the 2TB, which is definitely within my range. I was on LaCie's website and it doesn't mention if OS X Lion is supported or not. Would you happen to know?

Thanks again!