Budget overall Mic Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mthao00, Dec 14, 2007.

1. mthao00 macrumors member

I need a mic that will perform well in a situations - voice and instruments (acoustic guitars, amps) and for a price range of $300-$500

Options (probably search for lowest price - used or new):

1. Shure KSM32
    2. Blue Bluebird
    3. AT 4047
    4. AT 4050

Best bang for the buck. Suggestions? Thanks, mT :apple:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

I'm a fan of the ksm32, but I haven't tried those AT's. I like the 4040, but not as much as the ksm32. Fwiw.

3. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

My AT 4050 is a very nice mic IMO. Its clear and has well defined highs. I consider it akin to a reputable but fairly priced sparking white wine, airy, perhaps lacking a little in character but certainly cutting. It has none of the body of a red - like a neumann TLM 103 (which I've actually never heard this is just how it's been described to me). I think it's pretty flexible in its uses. I got it second hand for £150.

4. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

If you can, go to a Guitar Center or some other music store and try out the mics you listed (as well as some other ones, too!). Out of those listed, I've only heard the AT-4050, and it's a very nice general-purpose mic. It's a little above your budget, though, at around $600 new.

5. Gallick macrumors member

If you want to shell out a wee bit more ($600 range), the AKG C414 is bloody awesome. It sounds great on vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar amps, strings, horns, and a whole lot more. Really clear, defined highs and smooth, deep lows. It's got multiple polar patterns, a 6dB-18dB pad and a high pass filter at 0, 40, 80 or 160Hz.

Super versatile, and if you want to spend a little more, you can get a microphone that you can use in a massive variety of situations.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You really should look at the Sontronics line and SE mics as well.

They are very good budget mics.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

which 414 are you talking about?

8. mthao00 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone. How about the Mojave MA-200? I know it's not a "budget" overall microphone but I've been reading and hearing great things about it.

mT :apple:

9. Gallick macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the ones I have used are C414EB-P48s.

10. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Sorry to piggyback on OP's thread but I'm also looking for a microphone, entry level price/performance. I'm looking into developing a personal podcast of little to no importance to the masses. I've looked at Sonnan (sp?) AKGs, etc through eBay with the budget of $100-$150 in mind.

Can I get some recommendations for this? Thank you.