Budget Portable Tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dubels, Jul 9, 2009.

1. dubels macrumors 6502

I just picked up a D80 and I want to use the 18-200 lens I have for some long distance and long exposure shots. I also picked up a Lowepro Flipside 200 that has a tripod holder, so I would like a tripod that would fit on the bag. A tripod that is light yet strong enough to hold a D80 with a 18-200 lens and is small enough to strap to my camera bag, I would prefer it to be under $50. I could also look for used ones so any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

From what I've read, I would highly recommend AGAINST spending only $50 on a tripod.

3. canonguy macrumors member

The Manfrotto Modo-maxi 785b... This is my travel tripod. The only negative is the weight capacity of the "grip-ball" head, But it is (barely) strong enough to support my 5D with vertical grip, 2 batteries and 24-105L lens, which weighs more than your setup. I think it's about $60, but I have found nothing comparable in quality or versatility.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm what? A tripod is an investment that will outlast most of your cameras.

You can get a budget tripod but I believe it will not give you the stability that you desire.

5. a350 macrumors regular

portable tripod....hummm

when I think portable I think small, light weight.

Ever consider the Gorillapod?

http://www.joby.com/store/#slrzoom

You won't get the height that a regular tripod will give you unless you always have something to mount the Gorillapod onto, but for portability and right at the $50 mark it might be an option.

6. canonguy macrumors member

The Joby Gorrillapod is sweet, the knock–offs are horrible... The only drawback of the Joby is that it doesn't work well if you want to use it like a traditional tripod... if you want to grab onto a railing of branch it is great... but try to set it on a table top and you will be very frustrated.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

budget and tripod (or i should say budget-tripod) don't exist:) I mean yeah you could pick up a vivitar tripod at walbogs, but would you really trust your gear on that thing. A gust of wind comes by, its' a done deal. I know from experience when i first started out. I had an older, but prestine Canon EOS 650 and a light wind came in, and camera was on the ground.

The BEST solution, especially if you are traveling a lot, ie; hiking, etc.. is to get a carbon fibre tripod. They are lightweight and not taxing on your back/shoulders, etc..
    I spend like $150ish on my first head, and a bit more on my second (i was drunk, accidents happen, lol) and maybe $160ish on the legs. They have taken a beaten! But, again, you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget, check ebay or craigslist. Or save a bit more. You can get decent legs for $100 used, maybe even new.. i haven't looked seriously at tripods in 7 years... My tripod is aluminum, not CF:(

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Was a typo...meant to have that I would highly recommend NOT spending only $50.

9. jake.f macrumors 6502

I have an extreme budget tripod. Its not THAT bad but put it this way, I leave my neck strap on.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I dont know if you can still get these but AMVONA on ebay used to sell some very nice carbon fiber tripods on ebay. I have one and paid like 80 dollars a few years back.

Its a knock off of a $500 CF tripod but it has worked great for me for years.