Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidish

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Dell U2412M. It's awesome and I love it. Only thing is, my mom saw it and got jealous. So I'm looking for another monitor for her.

She's a bit older (and so are her eyes) and doesn't really care about picture quality, color accuracy, TN vs. IPS, etc. If I even tried explaining any of that she would leave just to make things simpler. ;)

Anyways what she does care about is size, media input, and ease of use (including tilting, height adjustment, swivel). Since there are so many options out there, I was wondering if any of you had particularly good experiences with a specific model.

Looking for:
-Under $200
-Large screen (24" preferred)
-HDMI input with speakers
-Easy adjustment

Mainly to be used with watching videos and photos.

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"She's a bit older (and so are her eyes) and doesn't really care about picture quality, color accuracy, TN vs. IPS, etc. If I even tried explaining any of that she would leave just to make things simpler."

If she's getting older (like me!) and her vision isn't as good as it once was, she ought to consider getting a 27" display with "medium resolution" (1920 x 1080).

These are 27" displays, but the number of pixels is the same as a "standard" 24". What this means is that the pixels are -larger-. This might look "grainy" to the younger folk, but when your eyes are getting older, the larger image looks "just right".

Check here for examples:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=27"+lcd&x=0&y=0

They do cost more than $200, but decent ones can be found for less than $300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.