Resolved Budget Wireless Adapter Compatible with PMG5 & Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KeegM480, Nov 3, 2013.

1. KeegM480, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I didnt realize with the PMG5 you need the antenna as well, so I bareley get two bars from my room which is right above the router, I dont really want to spend $30 on the antenna, any cheap USB Wireless adapters compatible with my computer you guys know of? Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing people have done is stick a paperclip or pin into the WiFi antenna hole on the back of the G5. Of course this is all at your own risk as you could harm the hole's connector.

3. wobegong Guest

I used to use a D-Link DWA-125 on my PM G5. You have to get the generic RAlink drivers from their website (afraid I cannot remember which ones, will have to Google to find the exact chipset). Think it was these ones http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01-1_windowsDetail.php?sn=5005

Quick edit after seeing Intell's post, you might be better off trying as Intell suggests, a USB adapter uses a bit of CPU all the time (up to 10% actually) so the built in option would be better if you can sort out a home made antenna.

4. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Sounded sketchy but works haha, I taped a paperclip to it (paperclip wouldn't fit in the hole.) I know have full service and every now and then lose a bar.. Cant believe this works! Thanks!

----------

maybe not... just went back to two bars... I wonder if my Grandma still has an antenna from her old PC. Ill see if hat fits.

----------

I usually have better service but it seems to randomly drop haha so for now it works.

5. KeegM480 thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Your idea gave me an idea! So my grandma had an antenna, only problem was it was to wide for my G5, plugged a staple in between the two have had full service for a while now! Thanks! I just saved $30