Budgets & Bills: what do you pay for TV and Cell phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sigamy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Been looking over the monthly TV and Cell bills a bit more closely and as much as I'd like to find ways to trim it's hard for one reason or another.

We get used to these luxury items and soon they become required...

So, I'm wondering what you all are paying these days for home phone/TV/internet and cell phone service?

Any suggestions for trimming? I know that many in their 20s don't have cable TV, they download everything from hulu, etc. That would be a bit harder in my house with wife and kids.

Here is mine:
    Fios Triple Bundle: phone/exterme HD/internet(25/15) $109.99
    Multi-room DVR: $20 (wife's DVR, so she can watch shows in kitchen)
    HD DVR: $16 (my DVR, for recording hockey)
    Kitchen box: $6
    Basement box: $6 (kids playroom)

I know this probably looks crazy. I'm thinking of dropping my DVR and the kitchen box. But wife will not be happy!

AT&T Wireless:

Familyplan with 2100 shared min: $77.00 (small corp disc)
    Wife's iPhone Data: $30 (grandfathered)
    My iPhone: $10
    My iPhone Data: $30
    Son's Cell: $10
    Family Unlimited texting: $30

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

$57 At&T Land line and DSL($21)

$90 T-Mobile Cell phone, family plan - 3 phones, unlimited texting

$65 TV w/ DVR service, 200(?) channels, no add-ons like HBO, etc. (Dish)

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in our house:
    phone/internet(dog slow): 29 euro (gonna very likely upgrade to a faster and cheaper deal i nthe 18-20 euro region

my cellphone: 5 euro, including 1000 texts and 5 cent per minute talking (which means bills with 5-7 euros)

television: we have digital satelite boxes + over the air channels .. all in all around free 100-180 channels of which 40-50 are actually worth watching
    but there is the stupid television license thing to pay for public broadcasting and thus: ~19€ per month

4. duncanapple macrumors 6502

We are pretty slim around here. I ditched satellite 5 years ago for over the air HD (better quality HD to boot!) via an antenna which is free.

We use a TiVo Series 3 HD DVR (which is the best DVR IMO and I have used them all) that is $13/mo. I can get netflix through it, but I think their online streaming package is a bit light. I am doing a free netflix trial but don't think I will renew.

Internet is ATT Uverse at $35/mo (6mbps)

Cell phones are two iphones that cost us $100/mo (we have a company discount plus are part of a family plan).

Out of all of this the only thing I really miss is the history channel and some HBO series'. But I can watch those things at the inlaws house or buy them via itunes (ie Entourage) and $100/mo for the history channel is hardly worth it!

I just can't imagine paying all that cash for TV - I am also lucky in that I am not a big ESPN guy - that probably saves cable/sat companies a lot of subscribers.