Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
So, Im currently unhappy with my current external hard drive wich is a Freecom 1,5TB.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H4699ZM/B/freecom-mobile-drive-mg

Whats disturbing me is that it makes a small noise every 30s, and sometimes noises when writing/reading. Definetly not a silent drive. Im looking for a new drive to replace, it has to meet 2 demands:

1) Be similar looking to alluminum, so any grey/silver drive would do the trick
2) Be completly silent. The type you put next to your ear and you dont hear a thing.

Im checking this new drive, wich is Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 and 1TB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682216547

1)Is this drive silent?
2)Isnt USB 3.0 already way faster then what a HDD can deliver....why the hell make it thunderbolt and make it more expensive? This isnt even daisy-chain

Im asking cause I happen to have a Bufallo 2TB drive and its noisy as hell, but that was a 3.5 drive.

If any one has any other recomendations, Im listening. Thanks in advance

coodem

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Any normal platter HDD will make noise. It's a mechanical device after all. Some are louder than others.
Your other option is to get an ssd drive. This is completely silent, with lightning transfer speeds.
But you're only going to get the benefit if you use TB, USB3 or FW800. USB2 is still going to be faster. But it be running at half the drives speed

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
USB2 is still going to be faster. But it be running at half the drives speed

USB2 will be the same speed no matter what kind of drive you have, all modern drives, are much faster than USB2.

USB3 and FW800 will see an improvement in speed if you choose a 7200rpm drive.

thunderbolt will see an improvement in speed if you choose an SSD over a 7200rpm drive.

for a single 7200rpm drive, the increase in speed you would get from thunderbolt would be minimal if anything.

cxc

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
Cologne, Germany
Has anybody bought this drive yet?

500GB Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt & USB 3.0 Bus-Powered Portable Storage Solution.​

I contemplate to use it as an enclosure for a regular 2.5" SSD Drive.
Therefore, whatever HDD comes with the Mini Station has to be removed.
Has anyone tried that before?

Thanks,

cxc

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Has anybody bought this drive yet?

500GB Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt & USB 3.0 Bus-Powered Portable Storage Solution.​

I contemplate to use it as an enclosure for a regular 2.5" SSD Drive.
Therefore, whatever HDD comes with the Mini Station has to be removed.
Has anyone tried that before?

Thanks,

cxc

someone here has removed and tossed in a bunch of different drives and tested speeds.. search and you should find

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.