Buff Scratches?

ephailey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I foolishly used a small screwdriver with a iPhone case and lightly scratched the side of my new iPhone. I have considered using a fine emory cloth or something similar to try to buff out the scratches. My concern is that there is a coating on the side that I will ruin. Any thoughts?

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
It's Machine brushed stainless steel, I would leave it alone. If you use sandpaper what will happen is that you will lose the uniform satin finish and get what looks like sanding marks instead

For the record ( since I love these kind of hardware threads)

Iphone 2g

Bezel : Chrome Plated Stainless Steel
Rear: Brushed aluminum + Plastic

Iphone 3G/3GS

Bezel: Chrome plated Stainless Steel
Rear: Two types of plastics

Iphone 4G
Antenna : Brushed Stainless Steel

I found it strange that apple didn't use aluminum for the iPhone 4G casing

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The side of the iP4 is not polished. It has any uneven surface that was probably bead blasted. This helps to hide any scratches, fingerprints etc. Buffing it will only make it look worse.

Note: It's not brushed. Look closer. If it were brushed you might have a chance of reparing it. I've worked on stainless steel watch bands etc. They are fairly easy to repair. This is not.

Comment

XLR8

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
Use it, scratch it, dent it, get a new one in two years.

Comment

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
The side of the iP4 is not polished. It has any uneven surface that was probably bead blasted. This helps to hide any scratches, fingerprints etc. Buffing it will only make it look worse.

Note: It's not brushed. Look closer. If it were brushed you might have a chance of reparing it. I've worked on stainless steel watch bands etc. They are fairly easy to repair. This is not.
umm well you're being nitpicky now, but in any case its a satin finish made my machine and not by hand

you can get very similar effects with the following

bead blasted, bead vibrated, or machine brushed will give you similar results, but you are correct, the last one will show very fine markings if you look at it very closely.

Comment

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I would leave it alone. If it bothers you too much, just cover it with a bumper.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.