Buff Scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephailey, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ephailey macrumors member

I foolishly used a small screwdriver with a iPhone case and lightly scratched the side of my new iPhone. I have considered using a fine emory cloth or something similar to try to buff out the scratches. My concern is that there is a coating on the side that I will ruin. Any thoughts?

2. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I don't think there is a coating on the iPhone 4's "side". Or silver antenna. I thought that the only coating was the Oleophobic one on the screen.

3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

It's Machine brushed stainless steel, I would leave it alone. If you use sandpaper what will happen is that you will lose the uniform satin finish and get what looks like sanding marks instead

For the record ( since I love these kind of hardware threads)

Iphone 2g

Bezel : Chrome Plated Stainless Steel
    Rear: Brushed aluminum + Plastic

Iphone 3G/3GS

Bezel: Chrome plated Stainless Steel
    Rear: Two types of plastics

Iphone 4G
    Antenna : Brushed Stainless Steel

I found it strange that apple didn't use aluminum for the iPhone 4G casing

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The side of the iP4 is not polished. It has any uneven surface that was probably bead blasted. This helps to hide any scratches, fingerprints etc. Buffing it will only make it look worse.

Note: It's not brushed. Look closer. If it were brushed you might have a chance of reparing it. I've worked on stainless steel watch bands etc. They are fairly easy to repair. This is not.

5. XLR8 macrumors regular

Use it, scratch it, dent it, get a new one in two years.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

umm well you're being nitpicky now, but in any case its a satin finish made my machine and not by hand

you can get very similar effects with the following

bead blasted, bead vibrated, or machine brushed will give you similar results, but you are correct, the last one will show very fine markings if you look at it very closely.

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I would leave it alone. If it bothers you too much, just cover it with a bumper.