Buffalo 1TB Thunderbolt Ministation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scoot157, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Scoot157, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Scoot157 macrumors newbie

I am due to receive my new MBPr next week (2.3/8/256 version) and need a fast external HD to use for storage (mostly large Dslr raw files). These files will also be shared on my iMac (purchased late 2011, maxed out).

I've considered using one of the new USB3.0 drives which would work fine for the MBPr but would be painfully slow on the iMac, which doesn't have USB 3.0.

It looks like the Buffalo 1 TB Thunderbolt Ministation would solve my problem as it uses thunderbolt. It also has a USB 3.0 port included.

eshop.macsales.com/item/Buffalo/HDPA1.0TU3/

Is this the best setup for me or is there another solution for portable storage that would be more versatile or cost effective? I see the great review below, but want to ensure I look at all options before pulling the trigger.

FYI, I'm a middle aged Mac newbie. Lifelong Windows user. Really looking forward to my new MBPr!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

seagate's go-flex line has a thunderbolt adapter, it's $100 for the adapter and $49 for the cable. (also have a firewire 800 one for $15 with the cable)

you would have to buy the regular drive, and then swap the adapter out when you changed computers, the adapters will also connect to a regular sata drive, so you could add your own bare drives, although they would be less rugged.

also keep in mind that especially for a platter based hard drive, no matter if you're using USB3, firewire 800, or thunderbolt, the drive will be the factor that limits your speed. if you're using a 5400 RPM drive, all 3 interfaces will give you about the same speed.
    you might see a difference if you're using a 7200 RPM drive, FW800 is a little bit slower than those.

if you're going SSD or RAID, Then you would see a speed up with thunderbolt over USB3

3. Scoot157 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Waw. Sounds like your idea may be the better way to go. I guess I can keep using the adapter for additional drives and save money by not buying thunderbolt versions. Thunderbolt drives seem to be about $80-100 higher than similar USB 3.0 versions.

Thanks again for your input.

4. spdntrxi macrumors regular

yes they are a little higher.. but the buffalo at least comes with a TB cable..right ? That is 50 bucks right there. Mine is on order and I might toss the drive and get a 7200 or hybrid drive.