Buffalo Drivestation Combo4

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by isx, Jan 23, 2009.

1. isx macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I have this external HDD and have been using it for time machine backups but have been haivn a few problems with it. Particularly via fw800.

I formatted the drive last night and ran two integrity checks on it (connected via fw800 and both failed - The test itself never mentioned faliure but the fact the system froze up completly and wouldnt respond until the drive was disconnected.

I then reformatted it and ran the test via fw400 and this test ran all night without faliure. However after I stoped the test this morning the drive then became un responsive. Coincidence?

I am going to try it again via fw400 tonight and then via USB and see the results.

I will then test the drive usiing USB on my PC and have ordered a new fw800 cable to test it with also, but in the mean time has anyone got any ideas as to whats going on? The drive is only 3 months old and is formatted GUID HFS+

Thanks for any input.

I have also

2. isx thread starter macrumors member

Well after retesting firewire400 for an hour it seems fine.
    USB also seems fine. So I guess it's either a problem with my firewire800 cable, the 800 interface on the enclosure or the iMac.

Has anyone ever had a faulty firewire 800 cable?

3. apetrovic macrumors newbie

I have been having this same problem with my Buffalo Combo4. I have it connected via FW800. I am using Superduper for my backups and have it set to scheduled daily backups. Problem is that sometimes the drive mounts and then at random times it will eject. I have no idea why this happens.

I have also found that sometime the drive will start fine during a restart. Sometimes the computer will freeze during startup with the drive connected, and when I turn it off the computer continues the startup without error. This also happens when I have my ipod in disk mode.

Anyway not sure if it is a FW800 issue or if it is a Leopard issue because it happens with the Buffalo, ipod, even my cell phone (memory storage card installed). Its as if the computer is trying to find an operating system on these drives and will not move ahead.

I have not tried the USB connect yet. I would hate to have to use that because the whole reason I bought the drive was for the FW800 connection.

4. isx thread starter macrumors member

Well after some more testing it is definitly the HDD that has died, it wont even reformat anymore and Buffalo tech support are one fo the worst I've had to deal with ever. They don't seem to know much about their products and just keep repeating the same things.

If anyone out there is considering purchasing ANYTHING from Buffalo, DON'T! Save yourself the trouble.