Buffalo external drive and Mac Journal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by captainbeefheat, Sep 23, 2008.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

I got a new Buffalo drive today, this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-1TB...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222178537&sr=8-2 it works fine and will format in Fat32 but it keep coming up with an error when I try to format it to Mac Journal. In the manual it talks about its own disk utility so I thought I might have to use that. So, I installed all the software it came with, however on closer inspection it looks like the disk formatter is Windows only. Is this a known problem with this drive? I have searched around and not found anything about it. In the manual for the drive it talks about formatting to Mac Journal so i assume you can do it?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you're missing something very simple - the drive's partitioning scheme. Mac OS X does not like HFS+ Journaled drives with the MBR (Master Boot Record) partitioning scheme. This is easily fixed with Disk Utility - select the disk, go to the Partition tab (if there's no Partition tab, you selected the wrong thing), and then click the Options... button (I'm assuming you're using Leopard). A dialog will come up with three options - MBR, APM, and GPT. You want either APM or GPT - which one depends on exactly what kind of Mac you have and what you plan to use the disk for.

3. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the reply, I'm a little confused I don't want to partition it, just format it in a file system I can use with os x and use files bigger then 4GB. It won't let me do that.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I wasn't saying anything about partitioning. It just so happens that the setting for the partition scheme, which Mac OS X is particular about, is in the Partition tab. You do NOT have to partition the drive in this tab - you can change the scheme THEN format it as you see fit.

5. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular