Buffalo Ministation Thunderbolt vs. Seagate Goflex for Mac + TB adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lannisters4life, Jul 15, 2012.

1. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

The Buffalo drive seems to get around 100mb/s on both Thunderbolt and USB3, and it's a 5,400rpm drive. If anyone has the 750GB or similar Seagate Goflex for Mac, which I believe has a 7,200rpm drive, plus the Goflex thunderbolt adapter, could you post up what kind of speeds you get? I know neither of these drives will hit either TB or USB3 peaks, but I want to use the TB port out of my display, I have USB devices coming out of my ears. If I had the money I'd get the Lacie little big disk, but alas, I don't!

2. j1huynh macrumors member

I am interested to know which setup is good also?

Buffalo ministation has 3 year waranty + thunderbolt cable for $229
    Seagate = $100 for Portable Drive, $100 for Adapter, $50 for thunderbolt cable.. =(
    If USB3 in seagate is good enough, then a lot of money saved..

3. sfxguy macrumors member

I get around 140 mbs USB 3.0 on my 2tb WD passport.
    Around $170.

4. Nemic macrumors member

I have the 1 TB portable Seagate GoFlex drive - the bus powered one.

Speeds are:

Read 85 MB/s and
    Write 85 MB/s

I have also attached a SSD to the adapter - this fits as it seems to have a standard SATA connector.

Speeds are:

Read 259 MB/s and
    Write 380 MB/s

The SATA drive I have used is a Crucial M4 256 GB.

I also have the Seagate Desktop Goflex drive 3TB - runs off mains power.

Speeds are:
    121 MB/s read and
    120 MB/s write. I actually think that this is pretty fast.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Tom's hardware has a good review.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/my-book-thunderbolt-duo-pegasus-r4-2big,review-32484.html

6. md63 macrumors 6502

I tried using the same M4 drive in the seagate adapter and saw the same speeds. The problem I was having with the Crucial drive was I needed to reboot the computer for it to be recognized. When I plugged in the drive it would not show up on my mac. If I rebooted, the computer would see the drive. I didn't have this issue with three other drives that I was using with the Seagate Adapter. Anyone else having this problem with the Crucial M4 SSD? I called Crucial and they were no help.

7. Nemic macrumors member

I haven't had any problems at all with the Crucial M4. I am running it on a MacBook Air 2011, with OSX Lion.

Plugging it in with the OS running and it pops up on the desktop very quickly.

8. wytwolf macrumors regular

I get mid 90's for read and write on my 1TB go-flex with ThunderBolt adapter. Alot faster then the high 20's i was getting with my FW400 my book. Plus the go flex is portable and when the time comes i could put a SSD in the TB adapter.

9. md63 macrumors 6502

Which enclosure/adapter are you running it on? Is it hooked up through Thunderbolt?

10. Nemic macrumors member

I am using the portable (bus powered) Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter for Portable Hard Drives, and it is connected to the Thunderbolt port.