Buffalos Drivestation quatro for MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macinposh, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,found this product for relatively decent price.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/external-drives/drivestation/drivestation-quattro/

2.0Tb of space, or 1.5 in Raid 5. Self-rep system and os-x supported.

The quirk is that is has a free eSATA pci card with it.
    But nowhere could I find if it is supported in OS X too,or only on the PC side.
    If not,then you´d be bound to use it in USB2 mode.
    Wich would be a that big bitch,because it would be used as a external storage/backup for photos and video.

But for the price,650€,it is about the cheapest thing with raid 5 that I have found.
    The intells ss4400-4 costs about the same without the drives!
    AND is a bitch to setup because you need a pc for that.

So.
    Yay or nay?

Edit : Would it be possible to route this device via the one of the free sata slots on the mobo?
    eSATA connectors are different than normal sata´s eh?
    But do you have a eSATA-to-SATA connectors?
    How would the MP see this device then?

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I doubt the card would work. It only describes it as a 'PCI Card for your PC', Mac Pros need PCI-Express cards.

I'm sure it'd work fine with a different ESATA card however. Or you could run one of the spare onboard ports out the back, but you'd lose the 'E' from ESATA, which means no hotplug etc.. and you'd need a suitable adapter/cable.

Edit: I'm talking about the 2 onboard ports that are behind the fan tray. IIRC you need to remove the fan tray and use a right angled SATA cable to use them. OSX would see them as a normal drive. They don't work in Bootcamp however.

3. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup,mee too. I allready have one 160GB in the other slot,so i have one left free.

Do you have any experienche of the esata cards for MP?What price group and problems do they have?

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Sorry I don't. I'd be interested to hear what people suggest as well as I might be looking for something for Time Machine.