Buffled by internet connection

Discussion in 'iMac' started by francotripepi, Jul 24, 2012.

1. francotripepi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I need your kind help and knowledge.

I have a 2006 iMac 22", very happy with it. I am facing suddenly a wierd problem.

The computer does not let me navigate the internet....I mean, I click on a specific page which I saved into my desktop as a shortcut, it opens it, but when I try to go anywhere it gets stuck and does not allow me to go. It tells me I have no internet connection. I run the Diagnostic program, and it indeed tells me i have an internet connection, but it does not recognize the address I typed, even if it is as simple as google.com. NO INTERNET.

Think is wierd enough....wait......I can use Skype with no problems, both in its messenger version as in its video conferencing mode. I can talk for hours at end using the camera. Doesn't Skype runs trough internet? It does...so how come me browser goes nowhere?

I run Safari, older version, if you think the details hold the clue...ask me and I'll tell you as best I can what I have in my computer. But to be honestly clear, it worked fine as it is for years, the last two weeks, it gave me a wierd beginning problem, it allowed me to open a page, but I needed to turn off and then on my AirPort in order to have Safari execute the request....every time i wanted to move or do something, it needed to be turned off and on (airport I mean). Now, it does not even open it.

I repeat I can use Skype at will....I run diagnostics and it sees an internet connection.......but no internet. If I ask for a page...it tells me there is no internet. Go figure??????

Anyone with a logical explanation or already suffered something similar?????

PLEASE HELP!!!

Some one told me it could be that my Logic Board is failing.

What is your educated input guys?

Thank you for all of your help........

2. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Dns ?

Sound's like a DNS issue. Try navigating to the IP address of the website you are trying to get to, for example www.google.com is www.173.194.67.103

If this works then check your network settings, as this is HIGHLY unlikely to be a Logic Board problem, despite what your friend told you !

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

4. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

If your other internet devices with web browsers cannot go to any well known pages you will need to contact your internet provider for help if you have not been changing any settings in your router equipment that would have caused this error.

5. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

I know this ios the stupidiest question ever.....what is a DNS problem....what does DNS stand for.....I am only a user.....nothing else.......

BY THE WAY.....THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR INPUT AND HELP...IT IS APPRECIATED AND I AM THANKFUL FOR IT

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

DNS is "Domain Name Server".. it translates something like English ("www.google.com") to the addresses that the internet understands ("173.194.67.103"). For your most frequently used sites your computer or router cache the addresses so it doesn't have to ask every time. But if it's somewhere you haven't been to very recently, it needs to ask the address.. and if it can't get it you'll get the "can't access the internet" error.

You should call your internet service provider. If you haven't changed any of your router or computer settings then it's your ISP having a problem.

7. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks 42j....just in case....where do I go to check the settings to see what i have and see if that is the problem itself.

8. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

42j....I found where the problem is.....but I can only fix it temporarily with my limited knowledge......I have found what rules the problem or its root......I went to System Preferences, chose Network, and chose the TCP/IP option.

I have the Configure IPv4 with the option: Using DHCP

my Ip Address in filled: 76.108.185.142

my Subnet Mask is: 255.255.248.0

my Router is: 76.108.184.1

Then there is an empty window with this option: DHCP Client ID (if required)

it is just below the button Renew DHCP Lease......that is the button that every time I hit, it refreshes my internet connection and lets me use it....but it stops frequently, and I need to keep hitting the button (one time only, every time, but every time it stops)

What do I need to do to stop having to do so.......????????

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You missed the most important line on that screen.. what does it say for DNS Server?

10. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I've had this problem before when the DNS, which is provided by my internet supplier is down. i got round it by adding another one as an alternative

Go to settings
    network
    advanced...
    Click on the DNS tab
    Click the + sign under the DNS Servers box
    Change the 0.0.0.0 that appears to 4.4.4.4
    Click OK

11. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

42j.....there is nothing in that DNS Servers box.....here is a picture of that screen....so that you can see yourself what I havo (or don't)

Perhaps by looking at what I see.....you can understand a little bit more....and i do understand that the Devil is in the details.....that sometimes we don't see....sorry 42j if I miss important details.....and THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE........

Attached Files:

12. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

If your next comment is that something needs to be in that box....please let me know what do I have to look for, and where.........so that I can better comply

13. zarf2007 macrumors regular

In the DNS section, add these:

they are openDNS addresses and you can use these if your ISP dns servers are down...

14. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

zarf2007....42j....and ALL of you that helped and collaborated, shared your knowledge and good will.....you are the bomb!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Problem apparently solved, it is not freezing every time I switch page or open another one........YOU guided me correctly, and I am not a "gifted" user.......

I am happy I own an Apple computer, and I am happy with the Aplle comunity........you guys made my day!