BUG: Action Sheet Doesn't Dismiss in Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I'd like someone else to verify this before I submit the official form to Apple.

I'm running iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3GS, 32 GB, black

1.) Open "Phone"
    2.) Select the tab "Recents"
    3.) Press "Clear All" in the top right corner*.
    DO NOT HIT ANYTHING ON THE ACTION SHEET ASKING TO CONFIRM.
    4.) Double tab home and go to any other app. (Or press home.)
    5.) Return to "Phone"

Notice that the action sheet is still there. Pressing "Cancel" will do nothing. Pressing "Clear All" will clear all, but not dismiss the action sheet.

The proper behavior here would be that after step 4, the action sheet should have dismissed as if "Cancel" had been selected as "Phone" left the foreground. Additionally, the "Cancel" and "Clear All" buttons should dismiss the action sheet if it ever is, for whatever reason, mistakenly displayed.

This was an embarrassing issue I ran into when someone else needed to make a call on my phone. I wasn't able to tab over to the Keypad because the action sheet covered the tab bar. Ultimately, I chose to restart my iPhone although later when I went to reproduce the problem, I found that this was unnecessarily drastic and force quitting "Phone" (go into any other app, double tap home, tap and hold the "Phone" icon, and then select the minus sign,) would also resolve the issue.

*Given that my "Recents" tab is currently empty, I don't know for sure whether that's what the button is labeled because it's hidden.

2. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

I don't think this is a bug. This was intentional. The applications stay at their current state. If they didn't do that, then we wouldnt have our multitasking.

3. irich25 macrumors regular

yea it's a bug

did you even try it lol...

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Sorry I wasn't particularly clear, the bug is that the action sheet cannot be dismissed after swapping back and forth between apps.

After looking at other Apple apps (Photos, Calendar, and Mail,) it would appear that the correct behavior is for the action sheet to be dismissed as if "Cancel" was chosen when the user swaps out of the app. Somehow Phone was just overlooked (it's a minor thing but, hey, after only running iOS 4 for three days now I embarrassed myself earlier today when I found it.)