Bug Fixes for the MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parpart33, Apr 24, 2007.

1. parpart33 macrumors newbie

parpart33

Hey everyone,

I'm purchasing a MacBook, a black one, and I've been perusing the online forums making sure that my purchase is going to be a reliable machine that can last me a few years. I'll have to do a few upgrades, like 2GB of RAM and a bigger hard drive to meet this need, but my big concern came from AppleDefects.com, where I read all about the problems that have been reported about these computers. I'm sure they have been blown out of proportion, but because they are there, someone has experienced this issue. I know Apple is no on Revision B for the MacBook, so my question is what changes and "bug fixes" have been made to ensure that I am getting a reliable machine that will last a few years?

2. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I just recently passed on a MacBook because of the low quality of the current MacBooks. I personally had problems with the flickering screens on several MacBooks.

When it came time to buy a laptop again a few weeks ago, I did some research on the current state of the MacBooks quality. Seems that the screen flickering is still an issue, and if there's one problem I can't live with, that's gotta be it--I hate display issues such as flickering, dead/stuck pixels, etc.

I was willing to pay the extra money and lose some portability, and just got the MacBook Pro. I really have no use for the extra grunt of the MBP, but I felt it would be a more reliable machine. The MBPs are some very stable machines right now.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    On the flip side

I bought a Black Macbook a little while ago, black, 2 gigs of RAM ect..

And it's flawless. Absolutely perfect. Forums like these can be terrible for purchase research because people with issues will always be more motivated to post a thread like "OMG my screen flickers.." than someone like me posting "OMG my Macbook works great"

get the Macbook. It is a fantastic machine

:)

4. parpart33 thread starter macrumors newbie

parpart33

Well that's a relief...this is going to be my only computer so I have to invest in something that's going to be reliable and not break on me.

5. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

My Black MacBook is nearly perfect. It smudges some - that's my one and only complaint.

I only have 1 Gig of RAM and for iLife, Safari, mail, iTunes, etc. it's very fast.

MS Office gives me the odd spinning beachball - which I chalk up to Rosetta.

I'm not paging out memory so I have no need to upgrade RAM at the moment.

The screen has been much better than I thought - and I'm quite used to the glossy. That said, I do iPhoto on my iMac becasue of the larger screen size.

I don't play games on the MacBook though - so I can't comment on that aspect.

Oh, and I love the keyboard.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just got a new macbook last week. flawless. works great. love the thing.

7. Bake151 macrumors newbie

8. Kballar2 macrumors newbie

Kballar2

Black macbook

One thing to watch out for if you are buying the Black macbook at it's base configuration. You pay around $150 extra for the black part, so if you interested in getting a better deal buy the mid-level white MacBook and upgrade it to the specs you would like. You will find that it will be quite a bit cheaper for the same exact machine in black.

9. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I agree...plus I like the white ones better. Black laptops were all that was available in the 80s-90s. Plus the smudges on the black ones irritated me. I feel I made the right decision to get a white 2.0GHz...great machine and I wouldn't look back for a sec.

10. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

It seems like everyone has recently purchased their MacBook or soon will, maybe it's because Leopard isn't coming out until way later now.. sigh.

11. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I just don't see the point of waiting for a machine while I could be enjoying one now! Everyone wants the "newest" thing, but no matter what you get, it'll be old news soon enough. That's why I didn't wait for the C2D...I just got what was out at the time :D

12. leonk macrumors member

One can always upgrade to Lepard in the future!

Also, the jump to the next CPU would be the same as CD -> C2D. Not much will be noticed for regular users.