Bug in Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Sep 14, 2015.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Well folk I have read about it on here in the pass of people mentioning a bug or some other insect for that matter got into their iMac and they can see it crawling around in the display. Well it has finally happened to me to be exact its an (ant) and as I was advancing to kill it / remove it from my monitor is when I had discovered it was actually crawling around on the inside of the screen rather than the outside.

So this being said what would any of you here do? As I type this I'm no longer seeing it anymore but it was just crawling around for a few minites just about 2 or 3 minutes prior to me typing this. Also where would any of you guess its coming from, the speaker vents at the buttom or the hinge / stand area at the back? T

The area of the house where I have my computer has always had a good bit of ants as its the time of season or they normally come out when its really hot but the table where I have my computer rarely ever has any ants on it this is a first for me where I seen one get into the computer. I've had my prior iMacs in this same area and I wouldn't even see ants crawling on the outside of it in the pass either.

Do any of you think it will eventually make its way out or if I should turn the brightness all the way up to try and drive it out or turn the computer completely off and hope it eventually finds its way out?

2. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I just now noticed my Thread title says "Big" instead of "Bug" bad typo sorry but I used the edit option and for some reason I don't see an option to edit my thread title.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can edit by selecting the "setting" looking icon - I have included a pic of one of my threads to show you where to click to edit title. Top right of your original post. Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 6.44.03 PM.png

4. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ahh Thank you Thank you. Now if I just knew how to quote posts like before during the old forum that would be awesome. Still trying to get a feel for the new forum layout here. Sorry for my newbness.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Click the " icon then scroll down and select the "Insert Quotes..." button just below the area you would type a response to this thread. (Hope that makes sense)...

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 7.02.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 7.04.11 PM.png

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think you will probably be fine - what iMac are we talking about?

7. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

its the Retina iMac. I still haven't seen it since I last did so maybe it worked its way out or died in it?

8. Siri's Daddy macrumors newbie

That is pretty funny. There is an animated gif that appears from time to time. It is of a small ant walking is a bit of a figure 8. If you see it you would think it was a real ant. Well one time a real any was on my iPhone walking like that. I figured it was just the app before realizing it was real.

You on the other hand have a much worse problem. You really do have a bug in your computer!!!

9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I suspect someone is playing a joke on someone. In Macs later than 2012, the lcd screen and the glass are bonded together. So, you shouldn't get anything behind the glass much less crawling around

10. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Not a joke by any means and yes it has been said and I also seen the videos etc of how the glass and screen are mated together but this being said insects can seem to still make their way into the monitor as in my case. I'm just happy that it hasn't resurfaced as of yet or that it may have found its way out but seeing stuff like this makes you wonder what else can get in there depending on where you keep your iMac.

11. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I know of the GIF avatar you speak of as I've seen a few different versions of it. Yeah its too bad that in my case the issue is real and not some animated pic.

12. BlueChroma macrumors newbie

BlueChroma

This happened to me! I have a late 2012 iMac and a week after getting it a little bug was crawling behind the glass and then stayed there. When I called Apple I was told to take take off the glass but this was a newer one where it was bonded together. So I took it to the nearest Apple store and they replaced the screen for me within two days. No bugs since.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I was in disbelief this could actually happen, until I too found a screen bug crawling around. Actual photo:
    bug.png
    If it doesn't manage to crawl back out, I'll likely be headed for another display replacement.

14. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The glass and LCD front panel are bonded, as in one piece. A place that a tiny bug could get into is the gap between the diffusor and the rear of the LCD matrix, which are not bonded.

Your clear photo provides evidence to that. If you look at the wings, you can see that the bug is behind the LCD's sub-pixel cell dividers, which are clearly visible. The bug is most likely crawling on the diffusor. If the bug was between the LCD and the glass, the wings would somewhat obscure the cell border lines.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Agreed, the insect does seem to be behind the pixel matrix and not between the glass and panel as I had originally thought when I first saw it. Unfortunately it did not manage to get out (now resides near the bottom-right edge of the display) so I'll have to get a display replacement under warranty.

Perhaps Apple could do a better job of keeping these displays sealed (in fact, a small particle of dirt has been in there since I first got it), but I still don't know how that insect could have possibly found its way into the display...

16. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl