Bug makes files vanish!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zax, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Zax macrumors newbie

Here is a bug in Leopard that made me loose some important files. I tested this in different Macs:
    I had many text files in the .rtf and the .rtfd format. They were sorted by type inside a folder and I wanted to group them together. To group these text files together, I manually changed the .rtf extensions to .rtfd. Then, I opened these files using TextEdit and dragged an image inside each of the .rtfd text files. and tried to Save only (not with a new name).
    Here is a step by step:

1- Open TextEdit and save a .rtf file
    2- Manually change the extension to .rtfd
    3- Open the .rtfd file and drag an image inside the text.
    4- Try saving it. TextEdit will ask if you want to just Save it or Save with a new name. Click "Save" only.
    5- Voila!!! Your file vanished forever !!!!

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Tested this, the file does appear to vanish entirely (can't find it looking in Terminal either), but keep in mind that RTF files can't just be made into RTFD by changing the extension; they are actually bundles — like .app bundles — that contain the RTF and other types of media that you've put in the document. RTFD actually stands for Rich Text Format Directory.

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

This is most likely due to the difference between .rtf and .rtfd. FWIW, TextEdit did delete the original .rtf modified to .rtfd as it did for you, but when I went to save it again, it offered to allow a save as again.

Attached Files: